Prepare blanket for Jacshirt sewalong

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got a large 100% wool blanket, but it's an awful pale green colour; as it's a civi one it hasn't been felted at all. My idea is to put it in the washing machine with some van dyke crystalls and wash the dye through it at 40 degrees.............will this work? Does anybody know if I'd need to fix the dye in some way afterwards? And would this wash-through at 40 C be enough felting?..................Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated! atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a thick-looking military type 100% wool blanket and almost certainly semi-felted, and in my experience these are pretty well windproof............if you wanted it more so, you can hot wash it to felt it tighter, but the feel of it will change to more,well, felty ...........

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Looking at the dimensions and the weight, it looks pretty thick stuff to me too, as Macaroon said.

Concerning dyeing wool, I am no expert but I believe it is quite a difficult process. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer some proper advice.

N

Nomad

Sounds better than might be expected - would be very good if I don't have to hot wash it. As long as it's noticably more windproof than a typical fleece, I think I'll be happy.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I would advise very much against hot-washing the blanket you've bought.............the whole reason for my op is to attempt to get my charity shop civi soft blanket to exactly what you've got there; I've worn loads of home made shirts/jackets made from blankets like yours and they're difficult to improve on; they're wool and will be pretty much windproof in combination with your other layers, will keep you warm even when sodden and won't burn or melt onto your skin - far better than any fleece I've ever come across.............think carefully before you risk all that, even if your felting goes well you'll shrink it up to 25% and its often a process that throws up
very unexpected results...........hope this helps, atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
OK, I've now got my blanket felted exactly as I want it - washed it with pure soap @ 40 degrees and spun it - about 15% shrinkage which has tightened the weave nicely but without hardening it and it's still holding the same shape and feels good..................but despite much searching and reading, I can't find any information on using a natural dye to get it a decent shade of OG or brown.................someone must have done this, surely?
I've come to a bit of a standstill.............HELP!....................atb mac

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Oh, so we have a contender? I have put the whole thread on ice since there wasn't so much activity.. I refuse to put down 10+ hrs if I don't get any responses. Keep the thread alive and I shall keep posting in that thread!

N

Nomad

Oh, so we have a contender? I have put the whole thread on ice since there wasn't so much activity.. I refuse to put down 10+ hrs if I don't get any responses. Keep the thread alive and I shall keep posting in that thread!

If you look at the more recent posts in the main thread, I think you'll find that there are several contenders. :)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
....I have put the whole thread on ice since there wasn't so much activity..
Ohhh that sounds interesting, linky :)

I've a couple of wool army blankets, one cream, one olive... I was thinking of trying needle felting on them, no idea what to make and a bit busy sewing a laavu, I have to admit I have no idea what a jacshirt is though!

Well done on a successful felting, Mac :) Nomad, you might end up with a very board like substance if you try to hotwash your naturally felted one! Wool takes dylon beautifully or you could try coolaid dying it. We need Toddy to drop us some pearls of wisdom :)

Last edited:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Dylon dye is very expensive for what it is. I've had more luck with RIT-dye It's cheaper and IMO better. I've written in the main thread now too. I'll try and update tomorrow, on drafting and fabric prep. If you go down the machine felt route, be prepared for some vigorous pressing to get the fabric out to shape again (that is rectangular, not the same size obviously). Pressing builds character and upper body strength.

I will also mention some ideas on how to weather proof the fabric which will be needed after dyeing and felting.

N

Nomad

Apparently, it's short for jacket/shirt. In my book, that means a home-brew Swanndri.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Most interesting, a lot like we'd see cheap in the shops as padded shirts with button though and double breast pockets but made in the PROPER fabric :) Swanddri sound like they use a brushed water repellant, do we presume they put the oil back in afterwards too.... that'd be a traditional way, perhaps?

N

Nomad

I just noticed that my blanket material is about 4 times heavier than what Swanndri use in their Ranger. The blanket was described as 2.1 x 1.3m, weighing 2.1kg, so 1300gsm compared to the Ranger's 345gsm. I'm guessing that the Ranger is quite thin.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
TG: I don't understand what you mean with the first garment. Do you mean a padded country jacket? I use a lanoline based compound that I soak the garment in. I use it for knitted sweathers, woolen shirts, socks and what not. I use a three bath system with increasing concentration as not to remove any of the animal fat.

N

Nomad

I think she means those padded check work shirts that can be had cheap. I think they're brushed cotton outer, nylon quited inner, probably with some thin polyester wadding between.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Oh, yeah, I've seen those too. They are good for work wear but not ideal for sitting next to a fire. The outer is usually synthetic too, in those I've seen here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE