Possible brand new Go-lite Shangri-La 5 and nest, pole, pegs etc

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I have a buddy in the US who has picked up one of these - still in packaging, and he wondered if I was interested. Its cost him around $320, and he'll sell it for $400. After the beer and meal I'll have to buy him, if I can bring it back it'll be around 300 pounds. Apparently you can still get them in the UK for 425pounds - http://www.lovingoutdoors.co.uk/golite-shangri-la-5-tent-bundle-shelter-nest-floor.html

If anyone is interested, let me know fairly soon, as I'll be going over there in about a week's time.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
no problem. I think Golite describing it as a 5-man is - as with all manufacturers - somewhat optimistic (no matter how many people the buyer reviews on golite.com say they've fitted inside)! Oh, and it is the green one:) But if its lightweight you're after, not bad for a genuine 2.52kg which includes the internal nest, poles and pegs - shedding the inner nest and using it as just the floorless tent would probably shave nearly a kg off that.

Quite a few have fitted the Kifaru/Seekoutside//TiGoat folding lightweight stoves in them - sew in a jack and put the pipe through it. Several videos on youtube of the end result.

Personally, I find the jack fittings - eg on the Kifaru - a much better way of installing a chimney than the "barrier" methods used on some other designs (ie the perforated surround to the pipe sticking out of the ventilation holes). It seems more stable, and a much safer insulator to me, particularly on lightweight materials - less of a problem on canvas or thicker poly-cotton designs.. But I guess RM and hundreds/thousands of other users can't all be wrong!

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I saw some of the stove videos and was tempted but alas i cant be dealing with modding and will likely go for a stick it out the top option

BTW your mate is a good one. sell you a tipi for $80 more than he paid for it and expect a feed to lol

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
:) To be fair, the Shangri-La 5 has been out of stock for a while (no more being produced until 2013), and he managed to pick one up from the manufacturers when they had some returns from European stockists. Apparently all went within a day, so he could make much more putting it up on ebay himself as there is a huge demand for them in the USA. So we negotiated a price that keeps both him and me happy, although knowing how much he drinks, I may well end up regretting it:)

...maybe I should take that bottle of chinese liqueur with me..............

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Actually, it probably wouldn't work. He's always been a bit cautious since I introduced him to the joys of brandy and benedictine....................

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well ive had a long think and read a lot of reviews so if the offer is still there ill go for it. the clincher is i could still take it overseas given the weight and it will be great for taking my daughter out in. It is just too good a deal to turn down :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE