Porcy quillwork naturally dyed quills, home tanned brain tan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
One of my new techniques I have been learning is porcupine quillwork. although i started off using commercial Porcy quills i soon decided to start dying them myself but i didnt want to go down the RIT dye route.
So instead I started researching natural dyes that would have been used. Either native dye plants of imported dye stuff from Europe, India and South America. For this quillwork bag i have dyed the quills with cochineal and rhubarb root. It takes a lot of time (and sore fingers) to sort and wash the quills but i have found the extra time invested dying the quills myself leads to a much better material.

Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
Thanks John. I use the american porcupine quills which are quite a bit smaller and thinner than the African Porcupine. The Quills I used for the zigzag work (yellow and red) were about the thickness of a cocktail stick. The thicker quills tend to be much harder to manipulate when you are working them.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks John. I use the american porcupine quills which are quite a bit smaller and thinner than the African Porcupine. The Quills I used for the zigzag work (yellow and red) were about the thickness of a cocktail stick. The thicker quills tend to be much harder to manipulate when you are working them.

Ah - maybe a rethink then! - mine are almost pencil thick!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE