poncho roll type thingy

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
found myself at a bit of loose end today so got the sewing machine out and had a bit of a play. i often take a woollen poncho on camping trips, it's a good multi-use bit of kit but one that only really gets used when it gets chilly. as such i tend to strap it to the side of my rucksack so that it's there if i want it but not at all in the way if i end up not using it at all, which works quite nicely. for ages i've been shoving it in an old tent bag to keep it something like clean and dry but as the bag's only made of lightweight nylon it's not waterproof and tends to snag on trees and things quite a lot. so i thought it was about time i did something about it. i wanted a bag that would be really hardwearing, fairly waterproof, multi-purpose, and as always, cheap. this is what i came up with.

28tb0ok.jpg

one of it open showing the spare room inside (there's two blankets rolled up there in this photo)

2yvq4wg.jpg

and one of it all nicely rolled up

111jv50.jpg

i used some synthetic fabric from an old bag and a couple of webbing straps with buckles that i've had for ages, total cost £0.00 and i think it'll do the job quite nicely

thanks for looking

stuart

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
That's fantastic....................could be useful for many things such as extra clothing or carrying a wet fly sheet......I've been looking for something to keep the dog's bedding in & that looks ideal. If I can find some suitable waterproof fabric I will certainly have a go at making one of those..

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
..........could be useful for many things such as extra clothing or carrying a wet fly sheet.....

exactly my thoughts mate, hence the extra space. it'll also make a pretty good pillow/extra layer to keep my toes warm at night/bit of groundsheet etc.

thanks for the snipped compliment :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Nice neat job there Stu... Was that done on the Jones or the electric machine? :)

i used another new (to me) machine for this one steve, we found a singer 99k in the back of mother's attic recently so i've been having a play with that. the jones is my "heavy" machine these days, it takes a nice strong needle and thick thread better than any of the other machines i've got so it mainly gets used for things like multiple layers of webbing or denim, don't worry though, it's still getting plenty of use :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
i used another new (to me) machine for this one steve, we found a singer 99k in the back of mother's attic recently so i've been having a play with that. the jones is my "heavy" machine these days, it takes a nice strong needle and thick thread better than any of the other machines i've got so it mainly gets used for things like multiple layers of webbing or denim, don't worry though, it's still getting plenty of use :)

That's great news. I'm really pleased to know it's back in use :D

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
You'd surprise yourself Sam if you started playing with a machine at how easy it really is for things like Stu made. :)

couldn't agree more steve, once you get your head around the "right side wrong side" part of the jigsaw it's all really simple, sewing machines are wonderful things

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I gotta applaud that ,that looks great and from what I figure to be really user-friendly too.
Great addition to your kit! Top job
Yours sincerely Ruud

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Brilliant, Stu! A practical and good looking problem solution :)

I think the tarp I have might be too thick for your machine tho lovey, might be a hand sew only jobbie... that'll keep you from getting bored ;)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.......for the right price too :)

the price is the best thing about it pete!

......more of us should venture with the sewing machine...

agreed, although i believe that "automatic thread injector" is the current vernacular.
automatic thread injector used for fabric engineering = manly grrrrr, sewing with a sewing machine = girly man :lmao: (tongue firmly in cheek here people, please don't take offence)

......You've been very industrious lately, Stu!

mainly due to boredom through a lack of paid work ged, but it's always good to make things whatever the reason. i think that today's lack of rain may lead to a bit of knifemaking this afternoon, i'll post piccies if i come up with anything worth sharing :)

......I think the tarp I have might be too thick for your machine tho lovey, might be a hand sew only jobbie... that'll keep you from getting bored ;)

don't you worry yourself sally, there's machines and then there's machines, and i've got both types :headbang:

thanks for all the snipped compliments people, i'm glad you like my handiwork, with a bit of luck it'll inspire a few of you to have a go yourselves :)

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE