Polymer - Any makers use it.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Can get insulated hack knives, made for cutting insulation off cables and not damage internal wire, and provide some protection from shock.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Like the Cold Steel knives designed to evade metal detectors?

Yes, I guess so. I picked up some old school 'Delta Darts' because.... the other day and was impressed / surprised just how very 'hard and edgy' the angle felt.

Just wondering how similar to a metal blade one could actually go in terms of thickness and still retain some functionality of effective edge

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Not wishing to start an argument but weren’t polymer knives banned under the latest knife law reform?

That said, many years ago at college we did make a few spikes from polymer, surprisingly strong in a pneumatic press.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Are you refering to being able to be detect metal? They probably still have metal in them, just not the blade.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not wishing to start an argument but weren’t polymer knives banned under the latest knife law reform?

That said, many years ago at college we did make a few spikes from polymer, surprisingly strong in a pneumatic press.

They maybe - and if so I wasn't aware.

I'm more interested in just how 'sharp' they can be made and if thats close to a knife blade from a cutting perspective as opposed to a stabbing perspective.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
That is interesting. We only made spike type tools not slicing.

Only cuts I’ve every got from a plastic is where there’s been a splinter shard or that terrible plastic strapping.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Apparently in southeast Asia bamboo knives were used to cut fruit and that worked fairly well.

Even the hardest plastics have very low stiffnes and hardnes in comparison to metals. Some hard fillers make the cutting ability remarkably better but metals are still superior.

Glass, boron, graphite fibers can give some polymers fairly nasty cutting edge but still much short of metals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE