Playing with some new material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive got a new stove on order from fourdog and was looking at the snowtrekker reflectors which radiate the heat back up to help reduce snow melt under the stove. they want quite a bit of cash with postage added so i set about seeing what i could lay my hands on in the UK

Managed to find a supplier in cheshire that make all kinds of fire retardant alu coated stuff and after a bit of going round in circles they found me a 2m offcut of something called shield tec. 780gsm silicone impregnated fibreglass mat with aluminum reflective coating.

it has a continuous contact temp rating of 250C so as a reflector it should work great. Price was £28 inc vat and shipping so pretty good me thinks

The spare bit will be used as a main fire reflector on the next arctic trip

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
They make a range of products Mary but mostly fire proximity clothing and component heat protection. They do some lighter aramid based materials too with the reflective coating but they were spendy (£70 for 2m)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Useful protective stuff like that is worth knowing about. Tbh I'm surprised that more isn't incorporated into camping kit.

I'd be interested (and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that :) ) in hearing how you get on with it, and how practical it actually proves to be.

I've been trying to clear out books but have found myself re-reading them instead :eek: I was looking at the firelays and the reflective log barrier things last night. I know this is a bushcraft forum, but not many have the permission to cut down enough trees for both a fire and a fire reflector.....or the time and desire to do so.....and I wonder how a piece of stuff like this, staked like a windbreak, would work instead.

atb,
M

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
.....and I wonder how a piece of stuff like this, staked like a windbreak, would work instead.

atb,
M

Thats the exact use im intending to try Mary. My theory is that fires are poor heat producers in cold weather (unless you build huge fires) so hopefully this will enhance

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That would be interesting to suss out :approve:
Even just reflecting back the heat of a stove towards the body sitting waiting on dinner cooking, could be a very comfortable thing :D quite apart from the increase in fuel economy.

Kind of on that sort of topic....I bust one of my brollies the other week, and I looked at the folding down spokes and wondered if the'd be of any use for anything. Now I'm wondering if they'd be of any use supporting a windshield of the lightweight stuff. They fold down to less than a handspan long but open up to three times that, and they weight very little.

cheers,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wednesday I was out and used a bit of scrap metal, which I found in the woods, as a fire reflector - it worked very well!
Useful protective stuff like that is worth knowing about. Tbh I'm surprised that more isn't incorporated into camping kit.

I'd be interested (and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that :) ) in hearing how you get on with it, and how practical it actually proves to be.

I've been trying to clear out books but have found myself re-reading them instead :eek: I was looking at the firelays and the reflective log barrier things last night. I know this is a bushcraft forum, but not many have the permission to cut down enough trees for both a fire and a fire reflector.....or the time and desire to do so.....and I wonder how a piece of stuff like this, staked like a windbreak, would work instead.

atb,
M

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Always handy when you stuble on some scrap out and about. I found a 1.5l pop bottle in norway which was actualy easier to fill from the lake than my folding liquitaner bottles and it stayed with me the whole trip :)

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
It looks like the stuff you see them wearing in casting shops and foundrys.

+ 1 for wombling, that and bodging are very handy skills to have :)

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Finally got some time on the sewing machine today. After taking up my wool trousers i got on with making the stove reflector for my fourdog stove.

It turned out really nice. Simlple edge hem down the sides and then the ends rolled over to make a channel for the mounting rods (3mm ali bar). I used kevlar thread rated to 425c which will get a coat of high temp silicone if needed once ive tested it.

mounted front

mounted side

underside

rolled up for transport inside the stove

Easy stuff to cut and work with too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE