Plant ID

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Can anyone ID this plant for me, apparently folks make tea from it, it also seems to attract a huge number of bees to the garden it is situated in.

plant_id.JPG

Thanks in advance.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
tansy's supposed to be good for keeping flies away, my dad's dad was a butcher and he used to grow masses of the stuff by the back door to the shop for that reason.

snipped from the wikipedia article
....A bitter tea made with tansy flowers has been used for centuries as an anthelmintic to treat parasitic worm infestations.....
having a quick read it would appear to be quite a useful plant, thanks for getting me to look it up :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine's not in flower just yet, but when it does it swarms with little hover flies :D
Fun to watch them like miniature humming birds.
It does seem to deter bluebottles and such like though :)

The tea is a traditional Spring tonic. It used to be made into cakes and fed to children. It cleared out worms.
Nowadays it is 'contraindicated' and it's use is not recommended.

I get beautiful yellow and green dyes from it :)

Once established it spreads by underground stolons, like nettles do. If anyone wants some I'll dig up a few bits and post.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Weirdly hover flies also love parsnip flowers.....that are eight foot tall.....maddest thing I have grown this year.....and I'm growing some mad stuff :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll do some tomorrow....eight foot parsnip plants are a sight to behold ;)

I'm going to have a lot of heritage parsnip seed if they ripen well :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE