Plant id

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
This has come up in the garden
8u6uteba.jpg

8ahasa9u.jpg

I think I know what it is but can I have it confirmed peeps 😃
d

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I'd say common Bistort Persicaria bistorta too, and agree that better photos would probably help, so not much to add really....other than, common Bistort has one the best popular names of anything...... Dragonwort! :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....i'd say Bistort(Polygonum bistorta)......

I'd say common Bistort Persicaria bistorta.......

Had to check who'd got this right/wrong Stuart, apparently we both have :eek: ....it's a bloody taxonomical nightmare out there! And here I was thinking that learning the binomial names for species would make life simpler :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a lovely plant is Bistort. Your's is well ahead of mine; all I have yet are a lovely crop of fresh green leaves. It's edible, as a green vegetable, and isused to make puddings before the plant flowers. The roots have been used in herbal medicine for very long time as an astringent and as a wound cleaner/healer. I'm told that the roots are very starch rich (when you can get them in any quantity) and can be processed to make a flour that's very nutritious, but I haven't tried it.

Basically, a nice find, but don't let it get too rampant. Best kept contained like mint, in the garden.

atb,
Mary

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok that's what I thought....
jutedyne.jpg

Just another quick photo as its chucking down here....
Mary I may dig them up and plant else where as I don't want them where they are.... we'll see. Have you tried the pudding that gets mentioned?
Ta all d

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Easy to dig up and transplant :) Doesn't like dry.
What's the other thing growing in besides it though ?

I'm not a fan of eggy things, but iirc Xylaria made the pudding. As a veg it's pretty good :)

M

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Easy to dig up and transplant :) Doesn't like dry.
What's the other thing growing in besides it though ?

I'm not a fan of eggy things, but iirc Xylaria made the pudding. As a veg it's pretty good :)

M

I'm guessing the leaves cooked then Mary?!?
The other plant I can't remember it's an ornamental flower + another plant I haven't id yet!!!
I'll transplant it perhaps when it's died back?
d

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The pink flowers ( & the flowered plant in the back ground) are Hellebores.................don't know what the red stalked plant is though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE