Plant ID please

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
100_0768.jpg

Found a tree with a light brown stem hanging down with this leaf. Anyone please tell me what is could be.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Found a tree with a light brown stem hanging down with this leaf. Anyone please tell me what is could be.

Hi globetrotter,could you be more specific,was the light brown stem part of the tree itself or was it a case of another plant growing through the tree ie a climbing plant with these leaves attached.
It would help narrow things down a bit.
Cheers Stuart.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
I would agree with you, Globetrotter --- it looks very much like Clematis vitalba (travellerss joy, old man's beard). The leaves look like Clematis leaves, as does the fact that is was growing over a tree. It's definitely not Crataegus (no offence Bivibave - you didn't have the info about it just hanging off the tree when you made your post). Was it growing in a chalky soil, Globetrotter? Clematis is a calcicole and is almost always found on calcareous or alluvial soil --- most common in the South of England (although I have seen it on the Great Orme - that limestone outcrop in North Wales) - you won't find it on acidic soils. Also, were there any remnants of last years "beards" -- they would absolutely identify it as Clematis. If you go back to the plant around July time, it will be flowering and there a positive identification would be possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE