Petzl E+lite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I am pondering getting the Petzl E+lite as a headtorch for use when hiking. Currently I use a Petzl Zipka Plus 2, which I've been very happy with, but am pondering the idea of something a bit lighter. Has anyone else here used the E+lite? What sort of battery life have you got from it? Do you find it gives enough light for use round camp? I'm not after a light to hike in the dark with, just something for use round camp?

Thanks

Julia

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have one, it's ok for occasional use, which is what it's designed for, it'd probably be ok of around camp, but it has very little throw to the light as there is no reflector.
I keep mine in my first aid kit these days.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I have used mine as my main head torch for about 6 months.
The batterys have lasted well for coin cells but they dont have a massive light output.
Its good enough to see by to walk in/out of camp through woods for me and its so light you forget your wearing it.
Take some spare batts in a ziplock bag if you plan on using it for extended time.

I think its a perfect torch for camp use, and dont ever go out without it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tend to wear mine in the winter months in my hammock, it's good to know there's a light to hand when the nights are long, it's so small it's not noticeable around the neck whilst I'm sleeping.

In the other extreme, when the days are really long and I'm up north in Scotland, sometimes I don't need a full blown 200 lumen headlamp and the e-lite is plenty.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Julia
I have used the e lite for 6 years on canoe trips in Scotland and find the batteries last well. But as a belt and bracers chap take two spare sets with me. I've never had to swap out whilst away on 6-10. Day trips. I don't hike with the e lite just use around camp.

Alan

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Lots of positive views here...

Another positive here :D . Mine lives in my Everything Pouch along with my other camp essentials (folding cup, mini brew kit, spoon, insect repellent, ferro & striker). Easily copes with after dark camp chores (including the occasional Special Forces Shuffle to find a safe harbour at Oh Dark Stupid ;) ).

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I guess it must depend on what other torches you've tried and what you intend to use it for.

I ended up giving mine away as i was very unhappy with it.

Problems i had was:
Extremely poor beam quality, full of artefacts.
Not really enough power to throw any distance, yet the beam isn't really flood either.
Not really powerful enough for anything but really close work, even then the dark areas in the beam made it tough to use.
Tint was one of the worst i've come across, came out a really distinct blue tint, i've had really really cheap lights (couple of quid) that had better beams and tint.
Battery life was absolutely terrible, couldn't get 8 hours out of a battery on high, which to say the output was so low is pretty poor.

On the + side
Very small and fairly lightweight

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Problems i had was:
Extremely poor beam quality, full of artefacts.
Not really enough power to throw any distance, yet the beam isn't really flood either.
Not really powerful enough for anything but really close work, even then the dark areas in the beam made it tough to use.
Tint was one of the worst i've come across, came out a really distinct blue tint, i've had really really cheap lights (couple of quid) that had better beams and tint.
Battery life was absolutely terrible, couldn't get 8 hours out of a battery on high, which to say the output was so low is pretty poor.

Interesting. What do you mean by artefacts?

Which batteries did you use ? A friend has offered to let me have a try with their e+lite, to see how I get on with it.

Julia

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i'v had one for ages and i think their a great little head torch

you can see a good few feet infront of yourself, which is the max you need in camp really....mine came in nice little plastic box too

to be fair the colour temp is a little low, but it don't really bother me tbh. i don't recall artifacts on mine either...maybe you had a damaged led in yours cbr?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Interesting. What do you mean by artefacts?

Which batteries did you use ? A friend has offered to let me have a try with their e+lite, to see how I get on with it.

Julia

By artefacts i mean dark areas within the torches beam

Not a E+lite but just an example of what i'd consider to be a poor quality beam with artefacts

IMG_9665_resize.jpg

Compared to a beam i'd consider to be good

120620-022a.jpg

As i say that is NOT a beam shot from a E+lite, the E+lite i had did have a better beam than the one shown, it still had dark areas i found unacceptable when reading a book though.

I do have to put my hand up to being a bit of torch geek though with a half decent torch collection to chose from, so i'm likely to be a bit more choosy than some folks.

For batteries i bought a load of Duracell's and used some of them.

You got really lucky with your mate there, nothing to lose in trying it out, be interested to read your thoughts afterwards.

i'v had one for ages and i think their a great little head torch

you can see a good few feet infront of yourself, which is the max you need in camp really....mine came in nice little plastic box too

to be fair the colour temp is a little low, but it don't really bother me tbh. i don't recall artifacts on mine either...maybe you had a damaged led in yours cbr?

It's possible

Although i did do a search after i saw the beam and it the few beam shots i found looked to be very similar.
As i say though i am a bit of a torch geek so it could be just that i'm a bit spoilt :eek:

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
My experience with little coin cell head torches is good, I have a ring one cree etc. The batteries last for ages and being lithium store too! They don't throw a lot of light but are more than adequate for seeing in a tent/doing tasks. Being as I always take two lights as your knackered if one breaks, they are ideal as the back up as they are small and the batteries last. If you want to see much though I'd take something else. If your taking a lantern of some sort or a torch they fit the bill for hands free and they really do last.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As I use a torch a great deal, I like to get a decent amount of energy from the batteries. I also like to be able to use rechargeables, so coin cells are a complete non-starter for me.

I've standardized on AA cells for pretty much everything now, and a single-AA-cell torch can be very compact and light. The ThruNite T10 on my belt weighs about 40g-45g depending on the cell - the torch weighs significantly less than the cell. I'd be lost without it. http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/thrunite/thrunite-t10.html

You can get a strap to use it as a head torch and the beam is excellent. I don't know if this model is still available but there are many many others similar.

I do have a couple of items that use 3V lithium cells (night vision and rifle illuminator). Although the rechargeable equivalents that I have aren't so good as the primary lithium cells the gear doesn't see a lot of intensive use so it's not a big problem.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So I spent a weekend using the Petzl e+lite as my main light while camping. My conclusion is that for the weight, it gives just about the right amount of light for my needs. The red isn't as bright as on my Petzl Zipka 2+, but it's perfectly usable for my needs. I'll be purchasing my own next pay day.

Julia

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How have you got on with your e-lite? Did yours have any problems like CBR had?

I've had one for almost as long as petzl has been selling them. A backup at first but now my only reliable camp torch. My primus one was probably the most powerful headtorch when I got it and too heavy, powerful and narrow beamed. I don't use it now. My black diamond one was good allrounder but it went temperamental by working one trip then not the next even though they were just overnighters, not due to batteries.

That left me with e-lite. I've been using it ever since on hill trips and car camping trips. I don't think I've changed the battery more than once and not in the last 3-4 years I think. Admittedly I've not been out as much of late but it gets 2-3 weeks use at least in a year. I've used it round camp but also walking with. Not that good for walking but camp it's great. You have to accept it is a make do torch only. Don't expect too much it'll only just light your way. It is a good backup though not least since those batteries are stable and can be stored in the torch for ages without leaking or losing juice. Also supposed to cope with very cold conditions, down to about -32°C iirc. Great backup.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
+1 for the E+lite!! Same as Paul B, I've had mine (used to be sold with a red plastic case with o ring) since they came out. Mine used to live in my emergency kit, but started to use it in camp and for reading really whilst on my back, ground or hammock. Works fine for those tasks, but not powerful enough for night nav. As a back up mine works fine!
Although I must confess I'm still using the original battery!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm still on original battery. I don't use it everyday but it has had rather a lot of use over the years. From camping through to lighting up nooks and crannies in the car when changing bulbs. Since my last good headtorch failed or became unreliable I've had to use this. It has been enough. I'm no longer likely to go out for long night activities or runs so no need for better. I used to go night running with it too. Only quiet country roads and canal towpaths but still pretty good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE