Perseids tonight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
OK, this was the scene a few minutes ago, it should be pretty much above London right now:

sts2_bcuk.jpg

Best regards,
Paul

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
It was raining so much and so cloudy I decided not to venture outside, but I am liking
your pictures of where it is. They do get a shift on don't they, these satellite things.

What website are you using - it doesn't look like what I've seen on
http://www.heavens-above.com although I'm sure there are loads of sites out there.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
It’s not a website, Jo, it’s software that was developed by a, now sadly, late, NASA employee, and is used by, amongst others, USAF and NASA personnel. It's called STSPlus, it's a DOS application and just today I found out that Dr T S Kelso has it still for download at:
http://celestrak.com/software/satellite/sat-trak.asp

Alternatively, you could try this one, and it's possibly a little more user friendly:
http://www.satscape.co.uk/

It’s freeware (but you can make a donation if you like it), and the last time I tried it (some years ago) it was very accurate.

Lots of info here about satellite tracking, although much of it is connected with radio:
http://www.aus-city.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Slight corrections to the visual sighting listed in post #18 for 15 August 2007. These corrections are made using fresh TLE data (Two Line Elements). TLEs are used by software to calculate the orbit of a satellite. This site explains the basics of Orbital Mechanics: http://www.braeunig.us/space/orbmech.htm

Anywho, this is the new data for a potential sighting on 15 August 2007 :

The ISS/STS will rise over London’s local western horizon at 21:35 :00 BST at azimuth 281.1 degrees (almost due west). If there’s no cloud cover, and you are looking due west with your head tilted back at about 45 degrees you would see them to your left.

Best regards,
Paul.

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
It would seem so. I managed to find a whole 200 square feet of common land dark enough to allow me to see the pole star and actually managed to spot a good 10 perseids in 5 minutes at around 10:45 on Sunday night.

There was a fair amount of cloud cover, but luckily not in the direction we were looking :D

Some of them were really quite impressive, streaking through bright and long.

It was interesting to see that where the particles hit the atmosphere and spread out round the curve they look as if they're shooting off in different directions.

Shame I didn't have a decent camera on me really.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Please note that the third entry for a possible sighting of the ISS/STS listed for the 16 August should say the 17 August (in post #18).

There is a visual sighting opportunity for tonight, but the satellites will be low in the sky, and will be lit by the sun for a relatively short period (just under 5 minutes). This will make a sighing a little more difficult.

16 August 21:57:57 BST
Azimuth 278.3 degrees
Max Altitude 23 degrees
Pass Duration Total 0:09:12 – Visible for 0:04:50

They will rise above the London local horizon almost due west, then arc to a maximum altitude of 23 degrees above the horizon (that’s pretty low, for the non-technical) it will reach the top of that arc at compass bearing 211.1 degrees (between south west and south), and then begin to descend the arc and they will enter Earth’s shadow at 22:02:47 BST and at compass bearing 188.1 degrees (it will be come invisible mid-air) . They will continue along the descending arc and exit the local horizon at 22:06:22 BST and at compass bearing 141.2 degrees.

You will need to be in an open space to see this or in a high building, due to the low altitude pass on this occasion.

It’s best to get to your chosen location a little ahead of time, an orient yourself with the compass bearings etc.

Apologies about the short notice and I hope that those clouds to the south and south west get a shift on.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Paul.

EDIT: at this time the ISS and STS are approching the western coast of Mexico.
Edit No2: The ISS and STS are now directly over lakes Erie and Ontario.
Edit No3: The ISS and STS have just left the Canadian coast on their journey across the Atlantic.
Edit No4: Mid Atlantic, now.
Edit No5: Coming up over the London horizon, now.
Edit No6: I have a visual sighting
Edit No7: They have entered Earth's shadow and vanished.
Edit No8: The ISS and STS have gone down over the London horizon.

That was exciting! – we get our kicks in strange ways here at Cloud Base :)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Ah unfortunately I missed it as I only just switched on my computer... I did see quite a
nice sunset tonight but not as spectacular as they have been; there have been some
amazing pinkish glows in the mid-evening for the last few days, the colour seems to
be all around and not just in the sky. I wonder if anyone has come up with a name for
that.

The only other thing I saw in the sky of note was one of our local Chinook helicopters.
We have some sort of cadet thing nearby and two of these helicopters sporadically
take to the air. Not quite as fast as the ISS though.

Where is Cloud Base? Or is its secret location kept secret for added mystery?

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Ah unfortunately I missed it as I only just switched on my computer...

Doh!..still, there always tomorrow. They'll be higher in the sky too (clear skies permitting, of course).

...Or is its secret location kept secret for added mystery?

I can't tell you where Cloud Base is because then the Mysterons would know where to find me. They read all the forums, you know! :D

Cheers,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE