Pears, thirty pounds of 'em

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They make delicious pear leather, it's definitely my favourite of all the fruity ones I've made. They also dry really well.
If you put all the parings, from the peeled slices that are put into the dehydrator, into a big pot with just enough water to stop them sticking or burning, and gently poach them to pulp, strain this through a sieve, and simmer it down until it forms a sticky brown paste. This can be put into jars and used a as a no added sugar spread for toast, scones or cakes.
They also poach rather nicely in red wine, serve with a little of the jus and drizzle with melted black chocolate..........Green & Black's Maya Gold is really good with them :D
They make tarte au poires too, but to be honest, I think they are a much under rated fruit and I just like eating them as they come ripe :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Eating 3 bags may get you running to the loo a little more often than planned though!!!

How do you prep the fruit leather Mary?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I peel the fruit, cut in half and take out the cores. I poach them to pulp in a tiny quantity of water and then strain it. The strainings go onto the dehydrator sheets first, they're kind of 'thick' but really, really tasty.
The juice I simmer until it's thick......you need to keep it stirring at the end.....until it's a thick treacle like paste. That gets dried the same way on silicon sheets in the dehydrator, and it's just manna :D Best fruit leather ever. Sweet and chewy and tasty.

All good, virtually no waste with pears, and they don't need any sugar or other fruits added. Lovely stuff :approve:

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE