Patterns for inuit or saami clothes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I have been searching for patterns for inuit and saami clothes, but I am unable to find it. Does anyone know where I can find it or will I have to improvise ;) ? I am looking for patterns of the whole dress, hair on reindeer-skins.

Torjus Gaaren

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have 2 books that i can recomend . Native american crafts & skills and Mountainman crafts & skills , both by David montgomery. They have buckskin coats and other projects in them all are interesting and worth a read .
Pumbaa

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Yes they are paperbacks . From memory they have parfleche , moccasin , chaps , breastplate , birchbark cannoe and even tipi plans . As well as a few survival/bushcraft skills thrown in .
Pumbaa

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
You could try contacting the Horniman museum in Forest Hill, London SE23. I know they have a massive collection of kayaks in storage and have seen several beautiful Inuit parkas on display there.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hoodoo said:
I have that book and it's absolutely gorgeous.

Hoodoo is the book: Sinews of Survival: The Living Legacy of Inuit Clothing you have? If so, does the book include a lot of patterns for cloth or is it only a written documentary of inuit cloth and history?`
I am considering buying it but wonder if I get what I hope for in the book.
I am looking for patterns of cloth, mukklus etc etc.
Is it possible to do your own inuit cloth after reading the book or is it only a history book?

could you write a little how the book is, I didnt find any review on amazon.

thanks
Abbe

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
There are lots of details in the book, including patterns and sewing how to. I could post some pics but that would violate the copyright. Of course the patterns are not huge so you would have to extrapolate to actual size. Many of the patterns are also complex.

Use this link and you can see inside the book although no patterns are illustrated. However, the table of contents and the index are there and will give you some idea of the content.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
torjusg said:
Abbe

You live far north in Sweden don't you? Any experience with saami clothes?

Torjus Gaaren

yes, I live about 150 km over the arctic cycle. Yes and no, the sami who are working outside all the time use a mixed of cloth, modern and old style.
A lot people up here use the sami mukkluk type boot, made out of reindeer skins which are taken from the legs of the animal. My neighbours mother is going to make some for me but I dont know when they are done or if I ever get them. After seeing my feet she didnt say a word for a while and then she said simply: "you have big feet" I dont know if I have enough skins left. :eek: Well, I guess I will get them then later this year after the Jokkmock market when they sell again these type of skins.

There is a type of cloth the sami have quit often on, everytime there is a fest or market or something one can see them with their blue and red "fine" cloth. That is the sami cloth I see most of the time. I havent seen them using fur parkas like the inuit.

Here is a picture from the Jockmock market:
He is wearing a traditional sami belt

jokmok.jpg

cheers
Abbe

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I have seen such saami parkas (they call it pesk), but I don't know how it was made. It was reindeer with hair turned inwards. They don't use a garment with hair out anymore, but have switched to using a outer garment of cloth.

Torjus Gaaren

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
torjusg said:
I have seen such saami parkas (they call it pesk), but I don't know how it was made. It was reindeer with hair turned inwards. They don't use a garment with hair out anymore, but have switched to using a outer garment of cloth.

Torjus Gaaren

I read somewhere that its possible to turn the parka inside out when its real cold.
I was wondering myself that on some pictures the inuits have the hair outside and some have it on the inside. I didnt understand why until I read somewhere that one can turn the thing around. But I have not seen it myself and dont know if this is true or if they are specially made with the hair inside. Would be nice to figure it out.

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE