Paracord soft shackle

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Still waiting for my Dyneema to arrive so thought I'd try the technique anyway. Not sure if it will come off my wrist now!

8454f00b.jpg

Also need to learn how to tuck the ends in

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
With these paracord soft shackles not being designed as heavy load bearing I just fray the end and melt it with a lighter.

The Dynema shackles I leave a tail but tape them together for neatness. This allows for some slippage as the Diamond knot tightens.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's a replacement for a carabiner/metal shackle. Normally made from Dyneema (Amsteel Blue to you!) it has a loop at one end and a big knot at the other. The loop is formed by pushing one end of the rope inside itself so it's adjustable. Do a Google search to see how it works

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
OK, my Dyneema arrived this morning so made a couple of shackles:

ade7fd38.jpg

also made the first of my two whoopie slings:

884ad61e.jpg

Just need to find some suitable trees for trying them out now!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice one Spandit, you are whoopied up :)

To save much swearing and resplicing, tie a piece of cord onto the adjustable loop of the whoopie or it will sooner or later dissapear into itself. I learnt the hard way:)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Nice one Spandit, you are whoopied up :)

To save much swearing and resplicing, tie a piece of cord onto the adjustable loop of the whoopie or it will sooner or later dissapear into itself. I learnt the hard way:)

I think that's what the stopper knot is there to prevent...

Graham, I think Teepee meant the big loop on the actual whoopie sling, not the shackle - there's a danger you could pull it completely through. In the second one, I've used one of the plastic bobbles you can see in the whoopie photo as a safety bead - meant to do it for the first one, never mind!

(Edit: I actually wrote this before I made the second one. I've inadvertently put a bead on the fixed loop too... doh! I used an oysters knot/Ashley stopper knot for the free end to stop the bobble slipping. The 10m of Dyneema D12 3mm + 6 rope bobbles came to £13 delivered from sailingmad.com)

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yeah, I meant the whoopie adjustable loop but you already had it covered :)

It took months before I snagged the tail on my boot and inverted it-took 30 mins of picking to pull it out again.

I made a lazy set of whoopies too, with a knot on the free end instead of a taper-this came undone and pulled out completely and I was left with no whoopie for a week:(

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, it holds OK - haven't tried the shackles yet. So much stretch in that mesh hammock that my bottom was touching the floor after a while but should be OK round a tree.
fd48737b.jpg

Might sneak to the woods and try...

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just hung the TW hammock in the woods between the 2 slings & shackles - held up beautifully. It's going to take some fettling to get my technique right but I've followed a video on YouTube where he hangs the hammock bag from the tarp ridgeline - seemed like a good thing. Had a play with the tarp too - need to buy some light clips to attach it to the Prusik loops (or make some more paracord shackles)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE