owl pellet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
just found what looks in size and shape like an owl pellet, but it consist of insect and veg matter. The veg is mostly berries like unripe tomatoes (they grow wild around here)

I know little owls mostly eat insects (there is a lot of little owls here) but do they eat berriers?

So no picture as I've not got a dig camera.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ed,

There are a lot of droppings round here full of cherry stones right now (all the wild prunus varieties are full of woodies and several other bird types). Many of the bird droppings are surprisingly owl pellet like

Just a thought

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Ok it's very many years since I did this, but I was once shown how to identify an owl pellet.

Take the pellet and drop into a shallow container full of water. Once submerged it should start to break apart and if it is an owl pellet it will contain the crushed bones and fur of the small mammals that it predated.

Do a search on Google and you'll turn up lots of sites on the subject.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I was filling the feeders in the pheasant pen last night ready to receive the birds this morning when I noticed this on one of the feed stations.

DSC00224.jpg

You can see the location of the pellet on the pallet ;) in this pic (bottom right)

DSC00225.jpg

What do you think?

Cheers

Mark

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Buckshot,the pellet looks like an owls because the are a lot of bones in it,this is because owls swallow their prey hole unlike birds of prey which tend to tear the prey to pieces before swallowing,also birds of preys digestive juices can dissolve bone unlike owls.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That's exactly what I thought Stuart, didn't know about the digestive juices though - thanks for that

Mark

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
It seems to me that it could be the droppings of an animal like a fox. It could well contain the things you mention. If you can have a look in a book in the Collins 'Guide to' series. The Guide to animal tracks and signs has lots of pictures of droppings and pellets(page 192 in my edition). Hope this helps

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Def not fox Fred. Shape, size, content, location are all wrong for fox. Perhaps the pics don't show it clear enough - :sad6:
I'm pretty sure it's an owl but not sure which. We have all sorts here up to Tawny

Cheers though

Mark

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Buckshot. OK I feel stupid! :( Bad example, what I should have said that it might have been an animal rather than a bird. From the picture I think it is an owl and, as you suggest, most likely a tawny. The Collins book's still good though!! :D

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Ah I see what you mean...
I have a couple of tracks and signs books but not if Collins is one of them - I'll have to check

Cheers

Mark

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I milled some Sycamore six years ago and end stacked the timber in a shed. The remainder of this is now one of a Barn owls roosts. Apart from the amazing mess he/she has left on the pile there is now a considerable amount of pellets.
I had never thought of dissolving untill reading this thread. So now perhaps I should either dissolve or dissect one to see what is inside. Another thought was to give some to the local school to do the same, although some teachers may not be happy with this idea! Swyn

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
swyn said:
I had never thought of dissolving untill reading this thread. So now perhaps I should either dissolve or dissect one to see what is inside. Another thought was to give some to the local school to do the same, although some teachers may not be happy with this idea! Swyn

Today, class , we will be studying owl vomit.............................. :lmao:

actually it is a good way to find out more about your owl, if you can find out what it has been living off by identifying the bits in the pellets, you can get a better idea of where it hunts etc etc

interested to hear what you can find out , keep us posted

Tant

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
EdS said:
just found what looks in size and shape like an owl pellet, but it consist of insect and veg matter. The veg is mostly berries like unripe tomatoes (they grow wild around here)

I know little owls mostly eat insects (there is a lot of little owls here) but do they eat berriers?

EdS it sounds like fox scat to me, though without a pic it's of course hard to be certain;owls don't usually eat mice and salad. ;) Buckshot's pic is a good owl pellet example. Foxes often leave bone, hair, insect casings and noticeable veg matter and are oflen long and thin as opposed to the more short and fat owl ones. :)

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
EdS said:

It sounds like it could be a pellet from the crow family

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Amot, the feeder is in a pheasant release pen inside a wood.
Seems the concencus is it's Tawny then. Cheers for that

Mark

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Almost certainly a Tawny and I am guessing that feeder was where he was sitting when he barked that one up. The feeder is probably a rodent hot spot after dark and I wouldn't mind betting that some of the bones in that pellet probably belonged to a visitor of that hopper when it was alive!

Scat with veg/fruit stones is likley to be Fox and sometimes Badger although badgers tend to use one spot for their business (commonly referred to as a latrine). A fox will very often deposit scat on a raised object like a stone or log as an extended and more permanant way of marking out a territory.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE