Otters ate his stock ?

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
All my carp / water crafting!!! buddies hate otters, cormorants. Mind you they also hate members of the public, maggot drowners ( whatever they are) in fact everyone who doesn't go carp fishing and most that do. Oh and probably themselves.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, I heard that too :sigh:
I like otters, but the feral mink cause more grief, but otters often get the blame.

No idea in this case, but it does seem an awful lot of fish to guzzle :dunno:

Some fishermen leave such a filthy mess behind them :( Lots of areas along lochsides up here that are blitzed by them. Not blaming them all by any means, but there are too many lazy, filthy orifices who 'claim' to be fishermen who really give the rest a bad name.

cheers,
Toddy

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
If he did lose all his stock to otters then I can understand his frustration however I cant help but wonder how he could not have noticed that 8500 carp were missing from one of the ponds, surly you check your fish daily when you run a business like this .At the least would it not have been obvious at feeding time for the fish

Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I really am no expert on this but I didn't think otters picked a carcass that clean especially when there is plenty to feed on. Also how do you miss all those fish. Something doesn't quite add up to me.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I lost any sympathy when it became apparent that he knew there were potential fish-eating predators aroud, and took no preventative action (fencing etc). Also, as others have said, how do you not notice the loss of your entire stock. A cynic might wonder whether he might have decided that he could get more money by losing the lot than by trying to limit his losses.

Has he actually seen otter taking fish (and if not, why not? He runs a fishery, you think you would check daily and therefore be pretty aware of what is around) or is he just doing the old "I lost all my fish. There is an otter sanctuary down the round. Therefore otters ate my fish" sort of reasoning. There could be other explanations (mink, poachers, fish disease). Sounds like he needs a bit more evidence.

Not to say that it might not have been otters of course, but there are details missing and a few unanswered questions.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Otters can be very destructive and don't always eat a whole fish as they go for the blood rich internal organs to compliment their diet of smaller 'insignificant' fish. I encounter lots of people who hate them, but it really is very cheap and simple to keep them out by using a small electric fence and wire mesh. Would you leave your car unlocked? No. Same goes for ponds full of ghastly carp.

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
Those ponds dont look big enough to support more than half a dozen decent sized fish.8,500 carp would need artificial feeding more or less daily.Pulling a fast one methinks.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Sounds like he dumped a load of fish in the ponds, didn't look after them and is now looking to blame the otters.

If I were the EA I'd be asking for proof of the numbers of fish.

I'm pretty sure that otters would have taken some fish. I'm also absolutely certain that they wouldn't have taken 8 500 without leaving a massive mess beside the lakes (otters aren't tidy), over a period of many months.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think he's a chancer

On the other hand if people want to introduce species or re-introduce species, they should have an obligation to ensure it does not negatively impact local residents and businesses - through fencing, compensation or whatever.

In this case its certainly fishy - but there is a broader principle

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
how he could not have noticed that 8500 carp were missing from one of the ponds, surly you check your fish daily when you run a business like this .At the least would it not have been obvious at feeding time for the fish

You would notice it in a very major way, ie, nobody was catching anything, you cant check your fish daily (im a Fishery Manager) as you cant see under the water, but you can check the area for signs of predation, fish in these lakes are not fed at all, they have to take their chances with natural food and what the anglers throw in as free offerings to encourage the fish to feed by their hook baits. You would probably be surprised at the stocking density of many carp puddles, it''s runs at tons per acre.

I like otters, but the feral mink cause more grief, but otters often get the blame.

Some fishermen leave such a filthy mess behind them :( Lots of areas along lochsides up here that are blitzed by them. Not blaming them all by any means, but there are too many lazy, filthy orifices who 'claim' to be fishermen who really give the rest a bad name.

Mink & Cormorants are by far the biggest predators i encounter, we have a DEFRA licence to shot Cormorants and we trap the Mink.

Unfortunately, you are right about some anglers, at our facility, you only leave litter once, because you will never get the opportunity to do it again, our rules also state that if there is l;itter in your peg, you must clear it away, even if it is not yours, before you start to fish.

8,500 carp.........that's a *lot* of fish.......and a heck of a lot of eating, even for a hungry otter and family.

M

Certainly is

I really am no expert on this but I didn't think otters picked a carcass that clean especially when there is plenty to feed on.

Not that i have ever seen, more likely to be a Mink problem, many years ago we had a huge problem with Mink so we organised a shoot, we got 34 in one evening, 34 Mink will eat a lot of fish.

Those ponds dont look big enough to support more than half a dozen decent sized fish.8,500 carp would need artificial feeding more or less daily.Pulling a fast one methinks.

You would be surpirsed at the fish densisty a lake will take, i look after six lakes and in one lake alone, ive personally stocked 14,500 fish, don't forget a lake is a 3d object, it also has depth and therefore volume

Sounds like he dumped a load of fish in the ponds, didn't look after them and is now looking to blame the otters.

If I were the EA I'd be asking for proof of the numbers of fish.

I'm pretty sure that otters would have taken some fish. I'm also absolutely certain that they wouldn't have taken 8 500 without leaving a massive mess beside the lakes (otters aren't tidy), over a period of many months.

He should be able to prove that by way of his Section 30 & stocking consent which is issued by the EA, so if the fish were stocked "legally" the EA will already know what was stocked and if the guy had any sense he would have had a proper site survey undertaken before he bought the place so he knew what was in there to begin with.

Otters would have taken some, but not 8,500, lets not also forget this is an article in the Daily Mail

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I think he's a chancer

On the other hand if people want to introduce species or re-introduce species, they should have an obligation to ensure it does not negatively impact local residents and businesses - through fencing, compensation or whatever.

In this case its certainly fishy - but there is a broader principle

Exactly, on all counts:)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Mark, thanks for those comments. You have experience of the fisheries industry, so it is nice to know that your experience backs up the general feeling on here.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I remember watching a program recently it may have been country file, (and as Harvestman and Bushwhacker have already pointed out) the owner of a fishery simply installed some fencing, at some expense of course, hey but that’s business. I wonder why the problem seems to be more down south. Plenty of otters and fisheries up here and I only know of one farmer who was ****** off because he was losing ducks. Ospreys take their fair share of fish to but I hardly hear of any complaints about them.
I do remember once when I was up in Achiltibuie,I was looking at some coy carp in a small garden pond, I asked the owner about the single strand of wire about 6 inches above the ground all the way round the pond, his house was in the middle of the village so I said, is that to stop Herons eating your fish? No he replied bloody Otters. All it needed was one wee wire 6 in above the ground, and that can’t be any more expensive than a normal electric fence, the fence on country file was way over the top.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE