Orkney Hood

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Jacqui Wood is also excellent on prehistoric cooking and has some useful alternatives to some of the assumptions as to the use of excavated artefacts such as "strainers" that might be lamp covers that might have concentrated flames for jewellery making.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
More details please Elen. What's it made of? is it just like the pic with all those tassles? and yes, a pic would be good.:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's actually a very nondescript garment in reality. Rather small, child or very small adult. Not Viking, I have to emphasise.
Dated firmly in the Scottish Iron Age and among Pictish stratigraphy that predated the Scandinavian expansion.

Fringes on a garment like this serve more than for decoration; they actually work to wick away moisture and allow it to evaporate. Much like the fringes on a buckskin garment do.

The fabric is beautifully woven, fine spun, even the coarser threads, spun as we would now for tartan. i.e. worsted, not soft spun for knitting. The sewing is nowhere near of the same quality as the original cloth making, though someone has taken trouble to make the piece look right

Jacqui's fun :D Lovely lady and very skilled.

cheers,
M

p.s. http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/na...es/scotland/early_people/a_generous_land.aspx

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ehm, having seen a few reconstructions......it's not that tidy or stay in place on anyone with 'shoulders' iimmc. That's why the supposition that it was for a youngster. To have it sit properly over adult shoulders the material really needs cut as they did in the medieval with gores added in.

Did we not do this topic a couple of years ago ? Should be loads of links in that. I do know that even after sewing the hood, those knotted cords take hours and hours to add :sigh: guess how I know ? :)

If anyone weaves cloth deliberately to create something like this, do yourself a huge favour and leave the warps hanging long enough to turn them into the fringes. It'll still take hours of plying up and knotting, but you'll have a heck of a head start on it :D

cheers,
M

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Her writeup is brilliant, isn't it?! Engaging and full of detail, the sleuthing and her conclusions are very interesting! Doesn't it show when someone absolutely LOVES what they do :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a load of photos somewhere too, Elen.
I 'think' they're in with the achetons and arming jackets stuff. I'll have a looksee.
If it's of interest I should still have the M. Hald report on the hood too. A bit biased towards Scandinavian influence though, but it was done when the supposition was that it was found in Viking context. Later research showed that it definitely pre-dates their incursions though. I'm pretty sure she included more illustration of the original weaving and sizes/

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE