Optimus Nova Plus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
rik_uk3 said:
Some stoves have had an "O" ring fitted, like some of the Optimus 111's, but they fail much faster than a leather bucket (just replaced an "O" ring in a 111 I got a couple of weeks back in fact)

Weren't rubber O rings, were they? In a petroleum solvent?
Viton O rings might be a better bet for that application.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
the Kap Arctic was an early Trangia conversion
www2.ess.slu.se/peterask/fri/Kok/Arctic/Eng/Main.htm

Alc. stoves in Sweden
first training www.mhsk.mil.se/photo.php?id=34400&nid=11188
winter training www.i19.mil.se/photo.php?id=67972&nid=20311

real hot alc. stove design by JSB (Yukio Yamakawa)
http://homepage1.nifty.com/jsb/stovecorner/konro9.files/sss2dansoko1.jpg

the latest in alc. stove technology - actually I´m wondering why people think an aluminum foil windshield is working on lowBTU stoves, this is a well engineered windshield-stove-combo: the Caldera Cone Stove by http://traildesigns.com

About the dangers of melting snow
www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF3/336.html

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I have one of these

OS0003.jpg

I got it for a 3 month trip in Oz, used it several times every day and ran it on LRP (Lead Replacement Petrol) she never let me down :)

I have a Coleman Dual Fuel now that runs on unleaded, no problems with that either.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
the Finnish army (at least the jaegerbrigade ranger company Jääkariprikaati Sissikomppania) has standard Trangias - isn´t it cold in Finnland during winter?
well, to me it is ...

Ever tried to use diesel in a multifuel stove in winter? Good luck :lmao: :D
don´t expect to have the melted snow water boiling fast

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
We have diesel cookers for our AFV's and once lit they are fantastic bits of kit apart from the taste of diesel!! Thank God for the boil in the bag ration in this instance!! They can be a Royal PITA to light though, the secret is to getting a good pre-heat before turning the fuel on. We tend to use a piece of a diesel soaked rag to burn under the burner unit, and then it sometimes goes up OK. Sometimes you need to use a couple of bits one after the other to get the burner unit heated right up before turning the fuel on.

I know in winter that diesel fuel can wax, but we normally have an additive in the fuel to stop this as it gets bitterly cold in this part of Germany. The other big problem with the diesel stoves is leaks and perished seals as they don't get used that often. People normally make do with the BV's in AFV's which is basically a big square electrical kettle run off of the vehicle batteries/generator and they are great for getting a brew on and boil in the bags!!

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I have not tested the Optimus Nova +, but I own an Optimus Nova.
It is a very good stove, but I`ve discovered one weakness (at least on mine), the burner plate is too loose. I`ve already lost one of them, and sadly not in my ruck.
The one curently used (wich I obtained by buying a full rep. set. No loose parts in the shop :eek: ) I have fastened with a thin piece of iron wire.
I think this is bad. This part is after all essencial for the stove to work. This should not happen with a stove as expensive as this, IMO.

Tor

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Then they must have realised as they have changed this slightly. The top burner plate now has one of the tabs bent round so that it is like a hinge, it cannot become detatched. The other two arms clip into place and therefore you can still get to the gubbins underneath.

It really looks like they have looked at the original design and made some good changes, I'm just surprised at the pump leather. Maybe somebody from Optimus will see this thread and change the design again and release the Optimus Nova Plus Squared to the power of ten! :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
spamel said:
We have diesel cookers for our AFV's and once lit they are fantastic bits of kit apart from the taste of diesel!! Thank God for the boil in the bag ration in this instance!! They can be a Royal PITA to light though, the secret is to getting a good pre-heat before turning the fuel on. We tend to use a piece of a diesel soaked rag to burn under the burner unit, and then it sometimes goes up OK. Sometimes you need to use a couple of bits one after the other to get the burner unit heated right up before turning the fuel on.

I know in winter that diesel fuel can wax, but we normally have an additive in the fuel to stop this as it gets bitterly cold in this part of Germany. The other big problem with the diesel stoves is leaks and perished seals as they don't get used that often. People normally make do with the BV's in AFV's which is basically a big square electrical kettle run off of the vehicle batteries/generator and they are great for getting a brew on and boil in the bags!!

Spamel, is it this type of stove
no12a.jpg

Very good stove is the No.12, but I find it burns better on paraffin

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
spamel said:
We have diesel cookers for our AFV's

well, I´m on my pushbike ...
Have you ever tried to carry those stoves on patrol without motor vehicle? Do they work outside shelter or vehicle?
Using an alc. stove as the Swedish & Finnish armies do or even using a Kelly Kettle I´ve managed to get hot meals at temperatures far below freezing point. I´ve tried Diesel in a multifuel stove and that turned out to be some kind of desaster: cold food on a cold winters day :(

and once lit they are fantastic bits of kit apart from the taste of diesel!! Thank God for the boil in the bag ration in this instance!! They can be a Royal PITA to light though, the secret is to getting a good pre-heat before turning the fuel on. We tend to use a piece of a diesel soaked rag to burn under the burner unit, and then it sometimes goes up OK. Sometimes you need to use a couple of bits one after the other to get the burner unit heated right up before turning the fuel on.

how long does it take to get those stoves started at -15° Celsius?

one could easy design a bypass on the engines cooling system, a running engine has enough boiling hot water - just use it as energy source to heat clean water etc., don´t drink the water from the engine.
I´m not sure about the Windermere Kettle, any idea?
A bracket (for a billy can, small Trangia kettle etc.) mounted to the exhaust manifold could also be a possible way to heat some water.
Only point is you have to think in advance and have your pot ready while the engine is running

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The water heating from a vehicle cooling system would be very possible, you could use some sort of heat exchanger which is basically a vehicle radiator encased with liquid flowing around the pipes and this would be your clean drinking water. Only problem is if the heat exchanger leaks, your water supply would be contaminated, you get poisoned and die a slow and lingering death whilst thinking of the folly of your ways!! :D So probably not a good idea! ;)

The stove shown above is the exact one found in AFV's, the lid has some wing walls that fold out aswell. It is a good stove, but again, I don't know if I'd like to pack carry it unless it was being used by a group of people. It gets used in our crew shelters, which are like little Baker tents made from green canvas, and they will turn the shelter into an oven in no time. You will need to keep the tent open otherwise you would asphyxiate, again not good, and I would steer well clear of nylon tents with this cooker!!

Not sure how much these things retail at, but the Army probably buys them for ten times their worth!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Your right Spamel, not for backpacking :eek: A couple of years ago, when these stoves were VERY rare they were fetching £300+ on eBay, they now go for around £80 -£100, but if your lucky, one will slip the net and you pick it up for £40 :) Bomb proof solid stove, performs better in my optinion with kerosene, and some of the parts are interchangeable with the Optimus 111. Perfect for canoe camping I would think

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
it´s about diesel stoves, not tent heaters? :D
the Germans have (or at least had) some www.raeer.de/cgi-bin/katalog/4ca264c1ba2c87ef
www.lampenmaxe.de/frame/geniolkocher.htm
I wonder how much time it takes to get a meal on one of those in arctic climate. Must be funny to operate all those valves and pump with gloves ;)

good point about the danger of drinking engine radiator fluid. I wouldn´t do anything to the cooling or exhaust system - just make some attachment/bracket to which a kettle/pot could be mounted. That way the kettle/pot must be damageged before radiator fluid could contaminate your food. And than there are those foodbags/-tins which are supposed to be heated in hot water. Another wall to break ...

very good are indeed wood stoves like Littlbug, Wildwood,Trekstov/Bushbuddy (standard version or made to your specifications!), Kuenzi, WK 15 etc.
Out of experience a lot faster compared to campfire and all other stoves. My favorite is the Kelly Kettle, takes a bit to get used to it since it´ll do a lot more than just boiling water. A bit bulky but that´s no real issue to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE