Opions please.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I once tried to use the thin foil blankets as a groundsheet under my bivi. A big gust of wind came along and ripped off all the foil that wasnt directly under me.
I shudder to think what would happen to one of these blankets if I was shivering with hypothermia and was trying to wrap it round myself.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
In my experience the foil blankets are far too filmsy for serious use. I carry a blizzard bag in the car for emergencies.

I also carry a small bothy bag went out and a bout. Works great as a lunch shelter as well.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I believe that the so called "survival blankets" of mylar foil are highly overrated. I believe it was the Mountain Rescue Association that did some tests and found that they provided no more warmth than a plastic bin bag.
I did once use one of the militay ones, green on one side and silver on the other to trick an AC-130 Spectre gunship's sensor systems, kneeled down by some large rocks and put the blanket over me, green side up. It did keep my body heat from escaping and tricked the thermal sensor into thinking I was part of the rocks. I guess if the AC-130 was actually looking for me to shoot at, then it would have been a "survival blanket"!
Anyway, a few large bin (trash to us yanks) bags are much cheaper, more durable and cover better. I always carry 2 or 3 along in my pack, cheap, effective and not as noisy to curl up in. Cheers!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Poly bag for me I think, as others have said, the foil blankets are flimsy, often too small, and hard to wrap effectively around yourself; plus, you can use the poly bag again. I used one with a sleeping bag many times back in my youth, no Gortex bivvy bags then :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Foil blankets - next to useless IMHO - I only use them for photo reflectors for studio photography now! - oh, and to decorate "Santas Grotto"......
Poly Survival bags - effective as emergency bivvis, river crossing floatation, dry kit storage in camp, with a torch inside as a beacon - very versatile!
Blizzard bags - very good survival bags with superior insulation, but only this.
Bothy bags/KISU/group shelters - ideal for multi person shelter, combined with poly survival bags/ Blizzard bags.
John

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Big orange poly bag for me.Very robust.

I used a "space blanket" to shelter one of our group in the dessert.It worked for a while then shredded in the wind. :( The foil is fine for post marathon warmth but IMO that's its limit.

Never used one but those blizzard thingys look very useful.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
if it is for emergancy use then i use both, kinda.......

If you have ever tried to get a casulty into a orange survival bag you will know how easy it isnt!! :eek:

What I use (got the idea from a mountain rescue team) is a orange bag cut open to give a large plastic sheet with a foil blanket taped to one side with gaffa tape. It addes next to no extra weight / volume when 'wrapped up' and gives the benefits of both in use.

You wrap the casulty in the sheet with the silver on the inside and it also has the benefit that it traps a layer of air between the two and thus adds more warmth!

I would post a piccie but i'm sure you can work it out (and it takes ages to wrap it up neatly again! :eek: )

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
g4ghb said:
if it is for emergancy use then i use both, kinda.......

If you have ever tried to get a casulty into a orange survival bag you will know how easy it isnt!! :eek:

What I use (got the idea from a mountain rescue team) is a orange bag cut open to give a large plastic sheet with a foil blanket taped to one side with gaffa tape. It addes next to no extra weight / volume when 'wrapped up' and gives the benefits of both in use.

You wrap the casulty in the sheet with the silver on the inside and it also has the benefit that it traps a layer of air between the two and thus adds more warmth!

I would post a piccie but i'm sure you can work it out (and it takes ages to wrap it up neatly again! :eek: )

If it's for rescue work,these bods
http://www.mediwrap.com/sitemap.asp
make some great gear. :)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
They probably aren't any better than a plastic bag but I have one in my ditch bag when sea kayaking. Mainly because unopened in the original pack they are very compact.
On the water you can fill them with air giving you flotation and improving visability, I dont know if they are radar reflective - I doubt it.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
strollon said:
Tin foil type blanket versus polythene survival bag, what in your view is the best.

Regards Strollon
Without a doubt the survival bag. They are normally thicker, you can get right inside them, they protect you from both the wind and the rain/snow. :)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Both - they fit flat in a pocket so it is no hardship. The big Orange one is for me, the other one is for reflecting heat (maybe behind a fire, inside the other bag, signalling)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE