One for Grooveski

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Oh dear.
...shouldn't laugh really. :)

You've seen thon glens at Loch Long. The damn stuff grows out from ground level and weaves into it's neighbours until there's no way through. When you're wiping them out you have to cut your way in regularly to get to the trunks.
Another hundred years and that'll be all of us just trying to find our way to the shops - we're doomed, DOOMED I tell ye'!
old.gif

Bloody things are worse than triffids - at least triffids had the decency to be fictional.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rhodie bashing should be a national sport :)
Or give the kids who get community service an outlet for their aggression.....by the time they've half cleared a hillside the last thing they'll be up for is getting caught being an eejit again. It would be a good use of all that young energy.

I laughed too, but it must have been exhausting and kind of panicky to find themselves trapped like that. Not something you expect just out for a walk.

M

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
My first thought was that there could have been a "just keep going downhill and we'll get to the loch" scenario.
I done that once and got funneled into a mess of cliffs that I didn't want to be in - sometimes going back the way you came isn't much of an option.
You get some nasty loose and moist slopes under rhodies with no vegetation holding the ground together.

You want panic? As kids a couple of pals and I accidently disturbed a wasp nest while we were clambering through a rhodie patch. We all got stung a bunch of times in the minute or so that it took to escape the tangle of trunks. :aargh4:
Now that was panic! ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rhodies and steep slopes are not fun :( Round here it's mostly been planted in the estate gardens, and while it's very pretty, it's killed off everything underneath it. Better gone I reckon. We used to play under them as dens. It was always clean under a rhodie bush, now we know why though.

Yeah, I'd have had a panic at getting stuck like that near a wasp's byke. No' funny :(

atb,
M

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Was the same on Arran. Brodick Castle has a big rhodie display that goes way back. I mind around the early eighties they were wiping out the Ponticum but it was too late - between the seed and folk taking cuttings the stuff was already everywhere.

My daily cycle at the moment runs through Pollock Park. Sad seeing it taking over even in the parks where there is the manpower to deal with it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I found a twenty pound note in a rhodie bush once when I was caddying for my dad as a nipper, I went in for a pee and came out minted :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE