Olight i6 Paladin review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I wanted a budget torch with plenty of power as an upgrade to my 5w Aldi Cree. So plumped for the Olight i6 paladin. The lumens to price ratio is what got my attention coupled with a good recognised brand name. (I did consider the cheap trustfire alternatives but many scathing reviews put me off)

Thought I'd share my findings.

Official specs
Price:Around £30
Throw:200m
Lumens:420/80
Battery life:1hr/6hr
Batteries:
Either 2x cr123a
Or
1x 18650

Special features:
High or low power mode.
Waterproof 2m
Drop proof 1.5m

Kit that comes with it:
Non rechargeable 2 x cr123a batteries
Cordura holster
Adjustable lanyard with spring clip
2 x Spare O rings

Kit you'll need to buy
Battery and charger (around £30 all in)

First impressions
Smaller than I though it would be at approx 14cm long. Hefty and very solidly built. The threads were well greased. It's a lot brighter than the Aldi Cree even on low power and easily lights up a room on full. The lumens rating feels right but would like to compare it with a lenser at some point. Not sure if I'll miss the focus beam or not but time will tell.

The torch doesn't fit the holster very well and when the Velcro flap is closed it's a very snug fit. I'd worry about it getting switched on accidentally as the switch is a rubberised button on the end. Will be making a leather holster for it.

The lanyard is a nice addition and tightens easily around neck or wrist.

Pros
Exceptional value considering the brand and the brightness.
Very well put together.
Good accessories
Unnecessarily tactical

Cons
No focus beam. The twist to change mode is part of the unscrewing mechanism which unnerves me for no reason.
Poorly fitting holster
Unnecessarily tactical

Overall
Very pleased with it. Will probably pop my Aldi one in my glovebox now and this will be my go to torch for night time shenanigans. (Trying to locate my hammock). Will update the thread with anorak style beam shots and battery life conclusions once I've had more time with it.

olight-i6-paladin.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE