Old nettles

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Happened to brush my hand against an old nettle today, one of few left standing. Hours later my hand is still numb, for a plant that was on the verge of dying, I'd say that's pretty potent

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Miserable isn't it ?

I did it last week weeding out one of the borders and it was still sore the next day. So out of revenge I dug the blasted thing up and composted it :evilgrin:

I'm told that if you can put your hand into really, really hot water that that will kill the feeling of the nettle sting entirely.
I just tholed it.

atb,
M

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
They are a vey interesting plant. You may or may not know this but they don't sting as such. They have silica hairs that are barbed that are very sharp. When u brush against them they sick in your skin, causing the irritation.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They are a vey interesting plant. You may or may not know this but they don't sting as such. They have silica hairs that are barbed that are very sharp. When u brush against them they sick in your skin, causing the irritation.

Yeah another interesting fact that. I'm generally in awe of nettles. I often spend a while talking about them when do guided walks. So many people just think of them as harmful useless weeds!

Orric

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I find the best treatment for nettle stings is it's sap, failing that it's the old favourite. Plantain leaves crushed.

Green nettles don't formally bother me, but over the summer I stung my hands on some red nettles in our garden, it was as painful as a wasp sting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Crush the nettle leaves up and apply them to the sting the plant holds its own treatment as is often found in nature

Regards Dave (caps lock )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE