Oiling a kuksa?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have pretty much got the kuksa the way i want but would like to darken the light coloured wood of the birch a bit ,what oils should i use ?is danish oil ok for foodstuffs?

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Pure, cold pressed linseed oil, flax seed oil (linseed by any other name), walnut oil, tung nut oil.

Don't use boiled linseed - it contains toxic drying agents. In fact a lot of other oils contain nasty stuff.

Be prepared for oily coffee until the oil cures - this could easily be measurable in months....

Cheers

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Don't use Danish, it's got chemicals.

I use walnut oil,don't know that it darkens much but maybe if you mix with say coffee powder it might.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Just done it Tam it looks good i put 3 tsp of coffee in a tiny drop of boiling water to dissolve it then put it in some walnut oil and heated it and evaporated the water then i was left with what looked like coffee brown oil seemples lol ,I will put a pic up tomorrow .

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Here it is finished with the walnut oil and coffee stain, i quite like the way it has come out.comments and criticism welcome ,It also smells of very strong coffee:D I put a wee piece of antler inlay into the handle.
Picture3471.jpg

Picture3472.jpg

Picture3469.jpg

Picture3466.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE