Of Wych Elms and Marsh Harriers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Wow, I spent a weekend with Fenlander and a few other mates including Seoras recently. What a fab weekend. Do look out for his courses and go on them.

The environment is unique. As the whole area is flat and low lying, water dominates the environment. The aquatic parts of the weekend included trapping cray fish, sampling water cress, rescueing equipment from a bog, exploring a fenland nature reserve and much more.

Everyone contributed hugely to the weekend. Thanks folks for the rabbit and squirrel experience.

WYCH ELMS

Interestingly the fairly young woodland that the camp was in had some pretty full size wych elms reaching the canopy. Fenlander showed my a couple of small ones and I think I then identified a number of full size ones. They looked healthy. I don't know if there are some local resistant strains around the fens, but learnt later that a fairly local hybrid elm, the Huntingdon Elm, is thought to be fairly resistant to Dutch Elm disease.

MARSH HARRIERS

The trip to the nature reserve was great for plant identification and usage. Fenlander knows his stuff on plants and birds, and waterbuffalo! Having been licked to death by the latter we carried on our journey. Some feint cries above us were identified as being from the Marsh Harrier. I knew little about this bird, but soon learned that they have mating flights very high in the sky - often above the cloud base. Well impressed! Back home I learned they are pretty rare - only 150 breeding females in the country?

Thanks for the nice comments Rich. Anyone would think you were after a free trip to Lapland :p

Here's a few pictures from the weekend......

Rich demonstrating an alternative to the thumb loops

Richdoinghand-drill-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Rich running a hand-drill workshop

Hand-drillworkshop.jpg
[/IMG]

Graham constructing a group shelter

Buildinggroupshelter.jpg
[/IMG]

Seoras splitting logs without an axe

georgelogsplitting.jpg
[/IMG]

Our saturday evening meal of trout, mackerel, squirrel, vegetable and wild greens stew and rabbit stew.

Eveningmeal.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Fantastic.....Nice one guys, well impressed with the marsh harrier sighting, I have never seen one.
Like the idea on the hand drill Rich, does it work well..?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Jon Pickett said:
Fantastic.....Nice one guys, well impressed with the marsh harrier sighting, I have never seen one.
Like the idea on the hand drill Rich, does it work well..?
I think it is a good one to try. Possibly the easiest one person hand drill method. The single loop is not a problem. Although this example was using sisal the best material is probably a strip of cloth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE