Nordic Chainsaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have a chainsaw chain that I have used (it was ordered in error - wrong size) - I drove one of the rivets out and attached some rings. I used it a few times but don't carry it with me; I just use my Bahco instead. I know it is theoretically capable of doing much bigger stuff than the Laplander but I don't think it's worth the extra packing. If I'm trekking, I don't need big fuel; if I'm in a base camp I'll have a bow saw. Maybe I've just not been in the right environment to need it. :dunno:

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a chainsaw chain that I have used (it was ordered in error - wrong size) - I drove one of the rivets out and attached some rings. I used it a few times but don't carry it with me; I just use my Bahco instead. I know it is theoretically capable of doing much bigger stuff than the Laplander but I don't think it's worth the extra packing. If I'm trekking, I don't need big fuel; if I'm in a base camp I'll have a bow saw. Maybe I've just not been in the right environment to need it. :dunno:

I need to take down a few Limbs that are High up , meaning I'm going to have to launch a blade over with Rope and Toggles added to allow me to 'see-saw' it from the ground.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yeh, that is the one scenario where they have an advantage but, whenever I tried it with a rope on each end I struggled to get it to 'sit' the right way up to start the cut. Maybe I left mine too long?

I hired a pole saw to do some hard to reach limbs then, 'cos I found it so good, I bought a second hand one; but then, I'm working in the wood every week. Shame we live so far apart :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Plan on doing two cuts per limb, unless you like the look of broken snags and the greater risks of rot that can come. Cutting from the top, with the weight of the branch, will break the limb free before you get all the way through. These saws are not great at those angles on the last bit of the cut, when the radius they are bending around gets small.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Plan on doing two cuts per limb, unless you like the look of broken snags and the greater risks of rot that can come. Cutting from the top, with the weight of the branch, will break the limb free before you get all the way through. These saws are not great at those angles on the last bit of the cut, when the radius they are bending around gets small.

Good point.

I'd better find someone small and nimble to get climbing the tree.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's exactly what I did but, TBH, the purpose for which I made it (throw over a high branch to remove it) it's useless for; as I said earlier, I struggled to get it the right way round to start the cut. On top of that, as Chris said, they don't like the narrow angle so you really need two people pulling on it from a distance apart.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Those are all for desperate measures when you can't have the capital investment in something as useful as a Stihl HT-103 or a -131. The neighbor kid makes money after school, knocking down hazards with the approach of winter.

Bow saws are fine for bucking up the cuts but get somebody with some skill and experience to begin with. I used to think that I could do it all, and I did. Now, I watch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE