Nice haul o nuts...couple of pics

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Went for a bimble tonight with the intention of bagging some shrooms but stumbled across half a dozen hazelnut bushes, and they were festooned with massive nuts! Anyway i easily filled a carrier bag in half an hour and left some for fellow foragers, anyonme have any suggestion / recipes of what can be done with them? ta

dscn1003pi.jpg

The biggest ones:
dscn1006k.jpg

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Thats quite a haul there bushcraftbob you beat the Squirrels to it. Tasty. I would just sit down and eat them,i dont know any recipes sorry.
Daz

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Wow that's a big load! Congrats on the forage. Today as I was on the playground with my two lads there was a hazel bush too, so I gathered and ate a handful. So yummy!

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
roast them, grind them into a paste with some ground nut oil,

add to the paste, cumin, coriander, garam masala, a pinch of sugar and salt, squeeze of lime.

smear it on some thin slithers of chicken breats, skewer them, leave em to sit for an hour

get wrapped up, get the kids and Mrs in the garden.

build a little wood fire in the BBQ or fire pit,

and prop them over the embers ,

get the hip flask out,

an "Early Autumn Hazelnut Satay", (as opposed to the usual peanut version)

probably close to a perfect friday evening, and something i,ve done myself.

(i,m blessed with a few bushes in a secret spot down the lane)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, that's a really impressive haul. I've never seen a ripe (or even close to ripe) hazelnut in the wild - the squirrels always get 'em first. I'd be tempted to have a go at Mesolithic-style sand roasting...

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Yeah, that's a really impressive haul. I've never seen a ripe (or even close to ripe) hazelnut in the wild - the squirrels always get 'em first. I'd be tempted to have a go at Mesolithic-style sand roasting...

Would love to have a shot of that too. Unfortunately the hazels around here are far from ripe, and not that many either, was the same last year.. :(

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
wow that pesto recipe does sound very good - i may just have a bash at that tomorrow. There are still plenty of nuts on the bush so may have a donder there next week and get some more. I think the reason the squirrels didnt get them is because they were not in or on the edge of woodland but sandwiched in a field flanked by two rivers on a water meadow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE