Newts on the Move

Hi Everyone!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Rains have once again brought out the beautiful and poisonous California Newt.

bcfrm_bignewt.jpg

I now see them on all my hikes. For an orange animal, it blends surprisingly well with the natural environment. It is common to step over one without realizing it.

Newt-Blended.jpg

In the Bay Area, we have California Newts (Taricha torosa) and Rough Skinned Newts (Taricha granulosa). Both contain the neurotoxin, tetrodotoxin. This is the the same deadly neurotoxin found in pufferfish. So exercise care handling newts. The poison can be absorbed into the body through cuts in the skin and through mucus membranes.

We have passed mating season. So I think I am seeing them move from pooled water to moist areas where they hunt.

- Woodsorrel

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
The title I thought it was a new trail snack.

Its funny how nature nearly always make poisonous animals brightly coloured.

The title I thought it was a new trail snack.

Its funny how nature nearly always make poisonous animals brightly coloured.

Disco1, this is not a coincidence. It is called aposematic coloring. Potential predators become conditioned not to eat the brightly colored animals because it associates the colors with a past bad experience. Or, because the behavior has been selected for over time.

I have a similar reaction to Brussels sprouts. :)

Here is a link if you are interested in learning more about newts' coloring and some of their habits: http://www.natureoutside.com/california-newt-on-the-move/

- Woodsorrel

You got rain in California? My D1 works at Stanford U, she never mentiones rain.

Robson Valley, we have had a few days of rain over the past several weeks. In addition, Stanford is in the rain shadow of the Santa Cruz Mountains. I have been hiking near the tops of the mountains and on the west (ocean facing) side. These areas are wetter than Stanford.

However, we are still in our third year of severe drought and the amphibians have been greatly affected.

PS: Let me know if you are ever in town and want to go hiking. :)

- Woodsorrel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE