Newbie looking for information

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abs91

Jan 11, 2022
Norfolk
Hello all! Came across this awesome forum today as I searched some information on purchasing land , and yurts! I saw discussions on yurts but along slightly different lines than I’m enquiring about.

If I was to purchase land and began a small business from there - with the yurt being the indoor part , what would this require. For example , the permissions of the land and the technicalities of the yurt. Is it classed as a structure or building.

Thank you in advance!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Welcome to the forum :)

I looked into this a little a couple of years ago when I was looking for options for my wood and found there is no straight answer. A yurt is usually considered a temporary structure if it does not have a foundation or 'permanent' platform/floor. But, when I delved into this, timber decking is sometimes classed as a permanent structure! On top of that, if you plumb water or fit electricity the yurt may be classes as permanent.

However, it's not the structure that is the only problem. If you run a business on land that was residential or farmland, you may need a 'change of use'. If anyone was to camp in it you would be limited to 28 days/annum without licencing.

Many forest schools get by a lot of this by just using a canopy such as a parachute.

Many people get away with putting a yurt up for recreational use without having any planning problems; but they're not advertising themselves as a business.

Clearly, I am no expert, just someone that has gone around the buoy trying to sort out the legislation, so I would suggest you really need to get legal advice before spending money.

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
The people to talk to about this are Simon Fairlie

& Ben Law

I have helped small holders fight planning laws and win. It can take decades. You need to prove that you need to be onnthe land 24/7/365. Usually livestock are a good reason. What you don't want are neighbours who oppose you.

I know both Ben & Simon,both have had massive fights with the planners.and won. Its hadmrd work but possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE