New Zealand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Am planning a trip to New Zealand in the summer. Just wondering what bushcrafty (or non-bushcrafty) things to do over there!

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
trampings popular walking and staying in huts ,depends on what your interested in plenty of hunting/fishing.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Biddlesby
New Zealand is grand! If you are going in our summer then remember the seasons are opposite so maybe suggest the North Island? The South Island in winter is a bit like the west coast of Scotland in Winter i.e wet, dark and cold!
Just like Billy Connolly's scetch about all the immigrants settling in a place thats the same as the homeland! :D
Seriously a better time is spring/auturm depending on your preference. I wouldn't reccommend the mountaineering even with a guide, its desperate I nearly got killed. The tramping (trekking) however is some of the best in the world, its worth planning well ahead as some of the major tramps like the Milford Track are booked up well in advance. You cant just pitch up, anyway who wants to walk with thousands of tourist on the trail ;)
Its really well set-up for the outdoors over there with every adventure sport going(much better than the UK). There are also a network of huts which are radio linked to local wardens who are in themselves a fountain of knowlege.
Although I didnt do any hunting/ bushcraft stuff when I was there I would think that it would be ideal as the whole country is outdoor-minded and there are so few people. Perhaps a tramp linking the huts and using your bushcraft skills along the way would be good? I think Lonely Planet do a specific guide called Tramping in NZ which might offer some ideas.
Its really easy to get accomadation when you first get there just email them from here there loads of bunkhouses etcthen pop along to the wardens office for all the local info. Dont forget to buy a Swanndri too!
Ed

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
NZ is superb! I was there last Feb (wish I was going again this year). As has been said, it'll be winter there and it can be a bit savage. I was mostly mountainbiking, so I didn't have any time for bushcrafty stuff. Check out the Queen Charlotte track. It is very popular but offers beautiful views.
2006_0308Image0106.jpg

2006_0308Image0095.jpg

2006_0308Image0122.jpg

2006_0308Image0063.jpg

Vital infomation, the Kiwi's serve beer too cold! I did send a nice letter to their Prime Minister explaining this but have not had a response yet. The beer is excellent if allowed to reach an optimum temperature. Mac's Black and Speights Old Dark are particularly good. And if you make it to Queenstown, go to the Ducks Deluxe for several pints of Black Shag. It is superb.
The Shepherds Arms in Wellington is rather nice too!
Also check out KLM flights out of Norwich. I got one cheaper than Air New Zealand, and although I had to change flights more it was a shorter overall journey.
Strangely, I couldn't find anywere that sold Swanndri while I was there :confused: .

Reactions: JonnyP

paulcd

Tenderfoot
Big prob for me and family 3 years ago was only 2 campfires in NZ + OZ due to fire bans...in 9 weeks of camping! Admitedly, if one got miles into the bush, you would be undetectable, but don't take lighting fires lightly...if the authorities don't get you, the locals will! Seriously, I would like to know where in OZ + NZ anybody has managed to light campfires to make the bush experience complete out there. In OZ, my image from 20 yrs ago was shattered...all camping spots used to have bbq grills for your steak for a real fire...now they are soulless, flameless gas things to help the 2nd (its true...forget the fit image) most obese nation on earth get their grub fried quickly and cleanly without soul.
Bring back the campfires! The bush needs regularly burning anyway...

Aug 14, 2006
surrey
i fly into auckland in march, i'll be looking to do bushcrafty things while i'm there. will be more than happy to let you know of anything that might be of interest
oli

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
paulcd said:
Big prob for me and family 3 years ago was only 2 campfires in NZ + OZ due to fire bans...in 9 weeks of camping! Admitedly, if one got miles into the bush, you would be undetectable, but don't take lighting fires lightly...if the authorities don't get you, the locals will! Seriously, I would like to know where in OZ + NZ anybody has managed to light campfires to make the bush experience complete out there. In OZ, my image from 20 yrs ago was shattered...all camping spots used to have bbq grills for your steak for a real fire...now they are soulless, flameless gas things to help the 2nd (its true...forget the fit image) most obese nation on earth get their grub fried quickly and cleanly without soul.

Unfortunately, public camping areas are as you described for a good reason.....and the reason is losing millions of hectares of forest to bushfires every year....this year included....there is a huge one in Victoria at the moment and scores of homes and properties have been destroyed this year and a few lives lost.
Not lighting fires in the bush over Summer is fine with me, I've got another three seasons where I can have a nice open fire but to have one in Summer is reckless. The 1.1 million hectares burning in Victoria at the moment was a result of lightning strikes which is natures way of cleaning up as you mentioned, but over the warmer months, nature doesn't need a helping hand from careless campfires and the odd nutter with a box of matches when lives and livelihoods are involved.....just my .02 cents.

Cheers

Dave

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Swanndri
Tower Junction
75 Clarence Street
Riccarton
Christchurch
ph 03 341 3495
fax 03 3434270
:)
Factory Shop.....cheaper than the shops! :)
And the weather is better here down South in SI...less rain, better manners, cheaper food. :D

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
paulcd said:

There are still woodfire bbq in tasmania and in most forest camping grounds they even surply the fire wood . but this time of year our summer there are alot of fire bans. Only two weeks ago there were 16 bushfires burning at the same time in Tasmania which is only one small state of oz.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
zackerty said:
Oh yes...hottest time of year is February...+-25 to 30° C

Yes....mainlanders are much better behaved than those heathens up North....I'm from Waipara Zackerty :D ....... went to school in ChCh.

paulcd

Tenderfoot
Matau said:
Unfortunately, public camping areas are as you described for a good reason.....and the reason is losing millions of hectares of forest to bushfires every year....this year included....there is a huge one in Victoria at the moment and scores of homes and properties have been destroyed this year and a few lives lost.
Not lighting fires in the bush over Summer is fine with me, I've got another three seasons where I can have a nice open fire but to have one in Summer is reckless. The 1.1 million hectares burning in Victoria at the moment was a result of lightning strikes which is natures way of cleaning up as you mentioned, but over the warmer months, nature doesn't need a helping hand from careless campfires and the odd nutter with a box of matches when lives and livelihoods are involved.....just my .02 cents.

Cheers

Dave

thanks for the info. I've a soft spot for that part of the world but am struggling to fight my bushcraft instincts...I know most members here are very fire responsible, but also know that 1 rogue spark may cause big problems. Thing is, I'm taken by the romance of it all...eg I see a documentary on hitchinbrook island with campfires, then when I log on to book a spot, no campfires allowed, then I see Ray Mears having plenty of fires with the aborigines, then I can't find one spot to do it...
Do you have a list of places in what season that it can be done...eg we used to do it in the blue mountains, but surely it is banned all year now?

Sorry for taking this away from thread...the guy asking about NZ will have a great time, I'm sure. The Maoris were/ are big on bush tucker and the scenery is great!

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
paulcd said:
thanks for the info. I've a soft spot for that part of the world but am struggling to fight my bushcraft instincts...I know most members here are very fire responsible, but also know that 1 rogue spark may cause big problems. Thing is, I'm taken by the romance of it all...eg I see a documentary on hitchinbrook island with campfires, then when I log on to book a spot, no campfires allowed, then I see Ray Mears having plenty of fires with the aborigines, then I can't find one spot to do it...
Do you have a list of places in what season that it can be done...eg we used to do it in the blue mountains, but surely it is banned all year now?

Sorry for taking this away from thread...the guy asking about NZ will have a great time, I'm sure. The Maoris were/ are big on bush tucker and the scenery is great!

It just depends on the area in which you are camping....I was in a National Park on the far South coast of New South Wales over Christmas and it was a total fireban....it rained for three days and the fireban was lifted. At this time of year it is just a case of monitoring the fire service sites before a trip.... for instance looking at the following website for New South Wales there are no total firebans in place.....lots of 'very high' warnings but you can still have open fires throughout the state at this stage.

New South Wales Fire Service

Victoria is a different matter with the entire state having a total fireban....

Victoria Fire Ban

Cheers

Dave

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Spawny get! It's somewhere I've always wanted to go but we usually end up in Australia because the missus has family there.

My brother went in April 2006 and spent 3 weeks there. It is a surprisingly big country and he said the best thing they did was to hire a camper van - this gave them total freedom to travel around the country with all their kit and do whatever they wanted. They went glacier walking, whale watching, did some adventure sports, camped on beaches, etc.

Also, if you don't already have a Swanndri and you want to get hold of one, there are a few places there: see the Swanndri website for stockists:

http://www.swanndri.co.nz/default.aspx?i=5004

I got my brother to buy me a zipped Mosgiel shirt which was NZ$269. This is about 95 UK pounds, so it's a good deal. In the UK, you can pay up to 180 quid for the same garment.

Have a look at one of Ray Mears' programmes - he spent a whole episode on New Zealand and that might give you some pointers. I have no idea whether there are places where you can learn traditional Maori skills but I think that is something I'd like to do.

Have a great time!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hey Biddlesby.
If you can get a lift on a fishing boat out of Bluff (bottom of south Island) there are some of the best wild bird and WILD walks in the world on Stewart Island. The huts improve as you walk and there are fish in plenty to catch with little more than what is in your tobacco tin. Not to be missed! I seem to remember being there in May time and then skiing shortly after when the snow finally arrived.
Swyn.

PS. I think there is a ferry but I worked my passage via a salmon farm. It just seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Boxy

May 9, 2005
Abingdon
Don't think I can add much to what has already been said.

The kayaking on the lakes in the south island is not to be missed, and I'd also recommend an ice climbing visit to one of the fantastic glaciers.

Very nearly stayed there for good the last time I was there, have fun.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Thanks for the multitude of responses everybody! Looks like I would have a fantastic time. Not sure if I'll be able to afford it, though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE