New use for old toothpaste tube.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Here is a useful tip. We all know how useful vaseline is, you can take a used toothpaste tube, cut the end off and wash it out. Then fill it with vaseline and seal the ends with the usual duct tape.

Reactions: John59

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The point is that is a lot cheaper to fill your own tubes and is also more environmentally friendly.
Not if it leaks, and it will, and it gets more liquid if warm. Is this a thing you do? How do you get all the residue off so the tape sticks properly? How much paper do you use to clean everything up, it must get everywhere? Probably a fair bit of hot water washing the stuff off your hands. I really can’t imagine the wastage while trying to spoon it into the tube. Why not just reuse the container it’s in, or use a small pot or tin?

How much Vaseline does a man need? :oops::D

Sorry, but it’s a daft idea, I don’t believe you do it.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
So far so good, you need to keep the end of the tube clean of course, but enough duct tape and it won't leak and you also have emergency duct tape. How much do I need?, well maybe you have never heard of eczema. It is more convenient to carry a small amount in a small tube rather than the pot it comes in, it works for me and I am not mandating that it is compulsory for everybody merely making a suggestion in the spirit of passing something on.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not if it leaks, and it will, and it gets more liquid if warm. Is this a thing you do? How do you get all the residue off so the tape sticks properly? How much paper do you use to clean everything up, it must get everywhere? Probably a fair bit of hot water washing the stuff off your hands. I really can’t imagine the wastage while trying to spoon it into the tube. Why not just reuse the container it’s in, or use a small pot or tin?

How much Vaseline does a man need? :oops::D

Depends on the Man.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes I’ve heard of eczema.

It makes more sense now knowing your usage, I assumed you meant useful as in a bushcraft scenario. It’s not something I ever use for anything.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE