New Stove

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A while back I bought a kitchen utensil drainer and a coffee canister from Wilko's for £1.95 each. The thing that attracted me was that the drainer was an exact fit in the cannister (I know, I had some strange looks in the shop too!)

I've now made version 1 of a small cooking stove:

This is the drainer:

stove1-512.jpg

I cut the top off using the Dremmel

stove2-512.jpg

Then fitted 4 M6 hex head screws adjusted so the top row of holes showed above the edge of the cannister

stove3-512.jpg

stove4-512.jpg

The cannister was marked up and a number of corresponding holes drilled

stove5-512.jpg

When carrying the inner is rotated until the holes are closed and the lid put on top - it's a clean way of packing the stove and store kindling

stove6-512.jpg

When in use the holes are opened, the stove burns well but slowly

stove7-512.jpg

I have chosen not to put a feed door in the base to enable the whole thing to be packed clean - it means I have to feed it from the top but one good feed boiled the pan so I don't think that's too much of a hardship.

What do you think? :)

naturn007

Feb 4, 2009
Eaton Bray
Yeah I like the look of that, and think I will be off to my local wilko's, it does seem to be a bit smokey though, what were you burning?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Fantastic bit of work - what was the total cost? - a lot less than a commercial stove, I bet. Does the whole twin skin thing give you "gasification"?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yeah I like the look of that, and think I will be off to my local wilko's, it does seem to be a bit smokey though, what were you burning?

I've still got to test it out a bit more - the wood was just whatever was around on the floor and was a bit damp!!

I think I may experiment with opening out another few holes on the outer skin - after all it's only £1.95 if I go too far!!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Fantastic bit of work - what was the total cost? - a lot less than a commercial stove, I bet. Does the whole twin skin thing give you "gasification"?

Thanks, so far I'm quite pleased with it. The total cost was £3.90 plus the four screws. The two parts are a tight/slide fit so there's no gasification effect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE