New stove

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
In terms of performance no, it won't be any better than the £5 job off ebay but then you don't have the Alpkit transfer on the cheaper stove. There was a Chinese fella on the stove forum who explained there are a couple of factories in China producing the vast majority of stoves and lanterns which are then 'branded'. I ordered a micro gas light from China when it turned up it was a 'Highlander' brand, same stove different plastic box and less than half the price. I had something else, maybe a little stove that turned up branded Gelert IIRC. If I was still collecting 'classic' stoves I'd not mind spending £100 or more for the one I wanted but to be honest paying through the nose for these little generic lamps and stoves makes absolutely no sense (to me anyway).

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
To be fair to Alpkit you're not comparing like for like with the ones you've posted up which are a lower output, bigger and about twice the weight. That may or may not be important of course, but do you have a link to something with a similar size and weight which is unbranded?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Are they lower output? BTU output is only part of the cooking process, flame spread, pot used etc all come into play.

Weight and size, good gosh alive....I really answer that with a straight face lol, a few bleeding grammes for crying out loud. Alpkit have the magic word included, Titanium which for some people its mention has them salivating like Pavlov's dogs.

Its only £25 which is what, 8 pints of beer in reality so go buy one, makes no odds to me.

Shewie, I'll send you a micro stove if you want one mate, spend your dosh on the family xmas.

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Alpkit produces their products in China and they're not making it a secret, I've got the Ti mug with lid from them, paid like 30quids, but you can get those in states without the logos for 7.99$:) i would wait until the unbranded version will hit the ebay, you won't be able to tell difference in usage/boiling times at this size anyway, it will be all similar...

got few gas stoves, small and big ones(MSR, vango, the 4.99 Chinese being one of them) and I still prefer my Trangia hehe.

regards,
Simon

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Weight and size is relevant Rik. It might not be important to you but gramms do count if you are carrying your gear any distance.

The alpkit is in the same ballpark for cost and weight as the 2800w fire maple equivalent. I think it looks a good little stove.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Weight and size, good gosh alive....I really answer that with a straight face lol, a few bleeding grammes for crying out loud. Alpkit have the magic word included, Titanium which for some people its mention has them salivating like Pavlov's dogs.

That's a no then, you don't know of a similar unbranded one. :lmao:

I'm not interested in one or indeed a small gas stove but having been comparing some cheaper Chinese gadgets to ones in the UK it's not always a straight forward matter.

As for weight saving I didn't see the point myself until I started to cycle a bit more, now I do keep on eye on the weight of things.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That's a no then, you don't know of a similar unbranded one. :lmao:

I'm not interested in one or indeed a small gas stove but having been comparing some cheaper Chinese gadgets to ones in the UK it's not always a straight forward matter.

As for weight saving I didn't see the point myself until I started to cycle a bit more, now I do keep on eye on the weight of things.

Thats a 'Can't be bothered then' reply but I'm sure one would turn up :)

Comparing a lot of Chinese camp kit will show you the same unbranded item cheaper, same thing, same quality, lower price.

The Chinese factories will provide you with any bit of kit you want to your design when you bulk buy, perhaps a production run of say few hundred to a thousand or more and I doubt Alpkit has that type of buying power ergo the same stove is out there under a different label :lmao:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The Chinese factories will provide you with any bit of kit you want to your design when you bulk buy, perhaps a production run of say few hundred to a thousand or more and I doubt Alpkit has that type of buying power ergo the same stove is out there under a different label :lmao:

Alpkit say it's made by Fire Maple and it looks similar to one of their stoves which costs more over here.

Importing something similar for £20 sounds more likely than for £5. That's what I found out when looking at torches, I could save a bit but not a huge amount for something specific.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
The way I see it the only advantage to buying the more expensive version is the potential for quality control to be higher. In a life and death situation I would err on the side of caution and go for the more expensive option. Having said that I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of us on this forum are never in such a situation so the cheaper option would be the one I would go for every time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE