New skill - birch bark container.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi :)
I wanted to make a birch bark container for quite a few years now. Never found the right time and place for it. Although it doesn't require any sort of specialty tools but I always skipped learning this skill. Anyone feels the same way? More people, more fun :D I have some time now, before I leave to Norway to learn and maybe practice there a bit more and I hope to get out to the woods in a weeks time to gather some materials needed. So where do you start birch bark container making? Any good tutorials?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Made a tray from birch bark last year, the rim is Fuschia from the garden and it's whipped with artificial sinew

DSCF3098.JPG

and, yep, it has a gert big hole in the back, really strugle for good bark around here, but, Cherry bark works well too, this is a small pot i made from Cherry bark to contain a "primitive" fishing kit.

Dscf1915.jpg

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I didnt know that Cherry had the same bend-ability as birch bark had, are there any more spieces of bark that would allow this type of treatment?
and what other properties has cherry bark compared to birch?
If I may be so bold asking these questions, kind of an over enthusiast here ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
A lot of containers originally were done from lime tree bark too (in Eastern europe at least). And lime tree bark also give out a very fast and durable threads. Only thing is you need to leave the bark in water for a few weeks before the threads go apart.

Cheers guys

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Really cool stuff I had no idea at all, I will be trying some of that stuff out, really interested to seeing how ash and Sweet chestnut work
Yours sincerely Ruud

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Made a tray from birch bark last year, the rim is Fuschia from the garden and it's whipped with artificial sinew

DSCF3098.JPG

and, yep, it has a gert big hole in the back, really strugle for good bark around here, but, Cherry bark works well too, this is a small pot i made from Cherry bark to contain a "primitive" fishing kit.

Dscf1915.jpg

Beautiful work as always sir!!!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Really cool stuff I had no idea at all, I will be trying some of that stuff out, really interested to seeing how ash and Sweet chestnut work
Yours sincerely Ruud

I'll see if i can get some pics of Ash bark containers for you, in answer to your other question re the cherry, it works really well i find, you just have to be a bit more careful but the results can be superb, it burns fairly well too

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Superb Kepis, thanks for that I will be looking around for a cherry, or Ash tree that need trimming so I can experience this technique first hand.
Yours sincerely, a humble Ruud

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Hi :)
I wanted to make a birch bark container for quite a few years now. Never found the right time and place for it. Although it doesn't require any sort of specialty tools but I always skipped learning this skill. Anyone feels the same way? More people, more fun :D I have some time now, before I leave to Norway to learn and maybe practice there a bit more and I hope to get out to the woods in a weeks time to gather some materials needed. So where do you start birch bark container making? Any good tutorials?

I'm suprised no one directed you to this 'Matchbox' tutorial by Uncle Ray:
[video=youtube;mYUqDSxBOAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYUqDSxBOAs[/video]

I also found that this one great for a more open basket (Which I'm sure can be varied upon greatly):
[video=youtube;_26LxrBdBmc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_26LxrBdBmc[/video]

Here in the UK, I'm finding it hard to locate Birch with sufficiently thick enough bark to make sturdy long lasting containers, but I'm sure in the colder climes of Lithuania (and especially Norway!) it ill be alot easier to locate good Birch bark.

Here are a few of my recent (beginners!) birch bark containers, very simply rolled & glued, sometimes lined, and I've evolved from the 'bunged' willow bark pulls to carving them out of small pieces of birch wood or hazel:
dsc06169f.jpg

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Superb Kepis, thanks for that I will be looking around for a cherry, or Ash tree that need trimming so I can experience this technique first hand.
Yours sincerely, a humble Ruud

Me too! that sounds great. Ash, Lime, Sweet Chestnut bark - I never thought they would make good bark for containers, I'm gonna source me some and get making.

Kepis, when it comes to Ash bark, are we talking fairly young bark, for the bark on more mature Ash looks terribly unsuitable for containers! I too would love to see your Ash bark containers.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Try Andy Nobles's Tutorial, its very good. http://www.naturescraft.co.uk/articles/birchbarkcontainer.htm

Heres some of my efforts

100_3556.jpg

S5000122.jpg

Thick bark's not such a problem in some parts of the UK, its getting it off the tree in large pieces and without large lenticels or branch unions thats the main issue. Ive just gathered around a 70 litres bags worth from wood that was being processed for firewood, but most of it is only for for match boxes, but im aiming to make some tar this time with most of it.
Get Elm, willow or Lime if you can and use long strips to make allsorts of things.

Have fun whatever you make.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Sweet sheaths! This is something I might attempt to replace the standard Mora sheaths that came with the 511 and 120.

This weekends camp with my son (and his new knives & other kit) is gonna be a good material gathering exersize, I can tell! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE