new shiney thing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
today in the mail i recieved a new shiney (literaly shiney) thing
it's an Orb Raw mini torch.
the orb website

on opening the jiffy bag i was confronted with a uk adaptor, a car charger and a recharging unit for the torch battery (RCR2)
and most importantly the torch itself in a plastic case.

the first thing that struck me was how small this torch was. it's about the same size as an AA battery. just a little wider. very handy. the fit and finish of the torch is to a high standard, a well made piece of kit, the only down side is the lack of "o" rings to seal it so it's not water resistant.
then i turned it on.

WOW.

it's bright.

it has a 3W led and it throws a beam that is as good as my surefire.
the torch has two settings. twist the body/head together and it turns onto low power. this gives a decent throw of light but does not drain the battery too much. on this setting it gives about 8hrs of light.
however.
twist the it on a little further and on comes high power.
this is the surefire beating light.
granted it only gives about 12mins at this setting, but you have to take into account the sheer size of the thing.

the torch also has a tritium strip fitted to the side to locate it in the dark.

a good buy that i'll be keeping in my possibles pouch when i'm out. small enough to keep handy and powerful enough to use for any task (including runway landing lights ;) )

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
I spent around £200 on torches and batteries to go in them last month, if I order another I think I'll be looking for somewhere else to live :)

Looks like a great little bit of kit though.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've just discovered that they now do a version with "o" rings that is even smaller.
wish i'd seen that one first.......

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Graham,

I couldn’t see any reference to the Orb RAW with O rings on the website, where did you see that and are you still happy with yours?

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE