New bowl

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Well a couple things here did a reprofile to a couple of my Mora crooks if you have not done this very much worth it as they suck from the factory I have been using mine for a while now with the factory edge on it to. Took me just about 2 hours to do the work on the crooks and this is the result of it. I got maybe a half hour to 45 minutes into actually hollowing out the inner bowl. Had to get some kind of bowl work done before my adze gets here I just couldn't wait LOL Only tools I have used on it are my Fulton axe and the Mora 164

100_4359.jpg

100_4365.jpg

100_4366.jpg

100_4364.jpg

100_4367.jpg

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Is that 2 hours with the re-profiled Mora's?
And have you ground off the points on them?

No regrind on it for the point that was an accident. A piece of wood hit it and snapped off the point in all each Mora I would say took round an hour to do up to being useable still needs a touch more work to it but not to much but yeah was just about 2 hours worth of honing to get it to this point

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I've never used a Mora spoonie, just gotten a home-forged (not by me) really narrow spoonie that needs a whole lot of regrind and sharpening by hand... Some would say the mora point coming off would be a happy accident.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I've never used a Mora spoonie, just gotten a home-forged (not by me) really narrow spoonie that needs a whole lot of regrind and sharpening by hand... Some would say the mora point coming off would be a happy accident.

Yeah the point is really a big PITA hated the thing but was to lazy to cut it off. Talking with a buddy of mine think it may just be a Mora 120 bent up rather than new tooling ya know? got any pics of your spoon knife?

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Yeah the point is really a big PITA hated the thing but was to lazy to cut it off. Talking with a buddy of mine think it may just be a Mora 120 bent up rather than new tooling ya know? got any pics of your spoon knife?

A bent up 120?...sorry Mr Mora (not you bikebum), but the more I hear, the less I want! On handling a Nic Westermann spoonie the other day - those things are works of art! Phwoaaaar!

I have no pics of my spoonie yet, but I'll get some. I'm making a hash of the bevel.

New work on the bowl is looking good!

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Eh they aren't bad knives at all just more a do it yourself type of a blade I'd call them. the ones I'm looking to get are from Ben Orford specially his Native crooked knife

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
got any pics of your spoon knife?

So as not to hijack your thread with pics of MY SPOON KNIFE :D

I managed to get a good edge on the very small spoony, but it's still a hash - I feel the thickness of the blade is just too thick to utilise it's narrow angle - I'd grind it down and thin it out, but I'm not that experienced yet, however, now it's sharp it is actually quite useful for carving very small and shallow bowls - just gotta get used to it and further experimentation will tell. Just last night I visited a freind who leant me her spoon knife. She said it was Indian in origin, and has a look of the Mora 164, so that's in there for size and blade comparison.

- The tiny spoonie with a Mora 120 for scale comparison here.
- The hashed small spoonie bevel here. Getting this sharp was a major pain as it's so small!
- The edge, 'spooned' inside the Spoonie that is very similar to the Mora 164 - here.
- The back of the blade to show you how thick they are in comparison - here.

I must say, I prefer the Indian Mora-likey to the very small blade, even though I'm sure the small spoonie will have many a use as I carve more stuff. I've never really used a proper spoonie before (even a cheap one) it's one hell of a step up from chisel gouges! - I got so carried away with a Birch spatula I was making that I got to the stage where the light was coming through (very proud for a moment!), and it cracked on me! :(

When I find me some decent fresh birch I think I will have a go at a bowl like yourself, and perhaps a Kuska.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Very nice blades Bro. Yeah already got my eye on the birch soon as we can get it down. Haven't taken it down yet cause one side of it is pitched right towards our well head. Still planning on how to drop it LOL I'm just hoping it isn't to far gone to work cause it is some soft wood now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE