New and shiney rescue toy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
today i was given a US forces issue emergency strobe light by my brother in law (USAF) :uu:

it has some extras too!(though not useful to me):
an infra red filter(you can only see it with night vision goggles, it just looks like black plastic, even against a bright light! i have tried it out with a maglight and my digital camera(with IRR vision), well watcha know it works! :shock:

also it has a green plastic tube it sits in with a blue filter aparently so you can aim the light at friendly forces and the blue dosen't look like gun fire!

also it came with a useful pouch that can attatch to a sholder strap, of a rucksack or lifejacket!

the only downside is the battery is dead and i've never seen one like it!

does anyone know how i would go about getting a new one?

the official details shown on the strobe light are:

model: SDU/5E
type: light marker, distress
army code: NSN 6230-00-067-5209

the battery codes are:

model: BA1574/U
type: battery, dry non rechargeable
army code: NSN 6135-00-073-8939

you never know, :wink: someone might have a box of them in their garage!

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I might be able to lay hands on one for you, but it will be expensive. Can't put a figure on it without checking but £25+ wouldn't be unusual for some of the diverse US batterys.

Try a google search for one, even better check e-bay, they do come up from time yo time.

Nick In Belfast

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
You do find the batteries and adapters for these on ebay the battery is expansive so the adapter would be a more sensible option as they sell for about £6 and will alow you to use batteries available in the uk. :wink:

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
RAPPLEBY2000,

Like Powderburn suggested, get the battery adapter, I think you'll then be able to use a Lithium (DL123) battery.

I got the MS-2000(M) probably waiting for me in Austria this Wednesday evening, it uses 2 Alkaline or Lithium AA batteries and is really small and lightweight and it's the successor of the SDU/5E . It also has the IR filter and the blue unidirectional filter to keep those guys in the sky from targetting the bright white Strobe flashes because they think it's gunfire (This of course only when used by the military :wink: )

Best Scouting wishes,

Bagheera

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
thanks everso! :ekt:

i now have a fully functional strobe!

i use powder burns idea, (it's the cheapest!) it works fine my only further adaption being lengthening the pen section and filling the penn section rather than wrapping it! i then taped the whole thing together so it now it sits in the end cap as before and will not fall apart if removed!

i feel it will be a new friend for my travels!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i went to several electronic shops and camera shops!

no one has heard of a:

"PX32" battery!

i went for a 3V "CR123A" which works just as well, it's made by several companies too!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE