Nettle wine

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Just put two gallons on, using the recipe in 101 uses for stinging nettles by Piers Warren.
no idea how it will turn out but its nice just hearing it bubble away.
Anyone here made it before ?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I make it every year from the recipe in First Steps in Wine Making by CJJ Berry - great stuff!
I also make Dandelion, Blackberry, Rosehip, Birchsap, Gooseberry (from feral berries) and Damson wine - between 2 and 5 gallons of each, each year.
My liver hates me.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
care to share the recipe with us? :p i have tons of nettles on a patch of the allotment that SWMBO keeps using for nettle tea....tea or booze? no brainer really

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
I've taken an interest in foraging recently so think I will have a go at some nettle recipes as they are so easy to find, what sort of quantities do gou need foe tea/wine?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
2litre of young nettle tops
1.75 kg sugar
zest and juice of 2 lemons
10gms of grated root ginger
Simmer the nettles ginger and zest in half to threequaters of the water for 45 mins then pour the strained liquor onto the sugar in a bucket. Add the lemon juice and add the rest of the water. When cooled to body temp add the yeast - started according to the makers instructions. Keep in the covered bucket for 4 days then stir well and transfer to a demijohn fitted with an air lock.
When wine is cleared rack off and leave for 4 months before bottling

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
2litre of young nettle tops
1.75 kg sugar
zest and juice of 2 lemons
10gms of grated root ginger
Simmer the nettles ginger and zest in half to threequaters of the water for 45 mins then pour the strained liquor onto the sugar in a bucket. Add the lemon juice and add the rest of the water. When cooled to body temp add the yeast - started according to the makers instructions. Keep in the covered bucket for 4 days then stir well and transfer to a demijohn fitted with an air lock.
When wine is cleared rack off and leave for 4 months before bottling

I assume 1 gallon of water John?

Is that 2 litres of nettle tops packed tight or loose?

I've kept some nettles on a waste spot so would be keen to try this

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I assume 1 gallon of water John?

Is that 2 litres of nettle tops packed tight or loose?

I've kept some nettles on a waste spot so would be keen to try this
Yes - that is one gallon and the nettles are lightly pressed - I fill a 2l icecream tub and press them in so they are fairly compact but not crussed into a brick...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Been having a poke around thinking "hmm new hedgerow wines".....reckon I'm going to make a batch of Lemonbalm and one of Lilac as well John - may as well do a few new ones and I have a real glut of balm!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Been having a poke around thinking "hmm new hedgerow wines".....reckon I'm going to make a batch of Lemonbalm and one of Lilac as well John - may as well do a few new ones and I have a real glut of balm!

I will be interested to see how the lemonbalm goes - we always have more than we can use :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll do a write up John - its in CJJ Berry under "Balm" :). Just put boiling water over a gallon of lilac flowers - that makes a very heady smell :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just letting the must cool on the lemon balm - smells incredible (but I am doing a double batch so a gallon of bruised lemon balm leaves infusing in water is going to smell strongly I guess). The whole kitchen looks and smells like an apothecaries grog shop between the nettle, lilac and lemon balm ....I'll do a proper tutorial when I get a minute, but the smell makes me think the lemon balm will be a great summer wine.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yeah - I only have 8 at the moment.... but the wife would shoot me if I took up more space with my wine cellar ... which leads me to conclude that I should drink more, faster!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE