net making of a different kind!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
must be something in the air! i too have just got into making nets,but of a diferent kind to schwert! ime making purse nets for catching rabbits when ferreting,now being a creative sort of chap i decided that the plastic needle that came with the kit wasnt quite the ticket! so this evening i nocked up a needle for nett making from anice bit of montanna ivory,i decorated it with traditional nordic dot and ring pattern.

DSC00021.jpg

thanks for looking.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Bone would be quite nice. Nice needle...much nicer than my poplar version.

I do not use a mesh stick. I measured my netting with my fingers...of course I can only make one size with that method.:)

I would be interested in seeing how you made this one. Did you girth hitch a number of strings to the ring then knot down to make a sort of triangle net?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i start by making 18 loops at the top onto the ring then just carry on adding rows till i have 18 rows then finish off onto another ring,for years ive used shop baught nylon nets but they realy dont perform like these hemp ones!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Oh I think I understand...instead of knotting from the stick like I am doing your first "row" is all cast on the ring. Simple..and your last "row" is looped on another ring.

It sort of ends up hammock like then. I take it you cast this net over the burrow hole, send in the ferrett and shazam rabbit in the net....bunny in the stew.

Nice.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Oh I think I understand...instead of knotting from the stick like I am doing your first "row" is all cast on the ring. Simple..and your last "row" is looped on another ring.

It sort of ends up hammock like then. I take it you cast this net over the burrow hole, send in the ferrett and shazam rabbit in the net....bunny in the stew.

Nice.

thats the method of making them! then a line is added to one ring and secured by knot in the middle of the string,then each end is threaded on the outer edge of the net up to the top ring,then a wooden peg is added,when the rabbit bolts the net 'purses' around the rabbit as the string pulls taught,bunny burgers all round!!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Very nice needle.
Here is a tutorial for making a purse net.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ferreter/nets.htm
Check out the "Nets and Net Making" forum at:
http://knotical-arts.com/pineapple/viewforum.php?f=17
Tony

Thanks for both of those links. The purse net is well done there and I think I could even do one...now just need a ferret.

The net making forum looks to have plenty of good threads as well.

I think I am going to try a 1x4m gill net next out of monofilament.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE