Nessie axe... Is there such a thing anymore?

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am looking for a commercial nessmuk axe is there such a thing?

Is anyone on here able to forge one?

Questions questions questions

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Try Lee Reeve, not cheap but great quality, had one of his hatchets for a while.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have a reeves nessmuk, brilliant bit of kit. Google lee reeves nessmuk, His wife and he are a true plesure to deal with, total cost £180 inc shipping and taxes. Will get some pics up after the weekend if your interested. Have a look through British Reds posts for pics too.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have a reeves nessmuk, brilliant bit of kit. Google lee reeves nessmuk, His wife and he are a true plesure to deal with, total cost £180 inc shipping and taxes. Will get some pics up after the weekend if your interested. Have a look through British Reds posts for pics too.

There is a pic of one in my avatar.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

The Reeves axes look lovely, google-ing his name reveals that George Washington Sears (Nessmuk) has a Facebook page!

Here is the website for Lee Reeves Custom Hatchets / Axes.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pignut - The Marbles is trash.

I have the Reeves and a Gransfors double bit working axe...and a couple of other large double bits.

You are welcome to come see em.

Red

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Can someone explain the benefit of a double bit outside of a full on Celtic beserker rampage? Is one for carving and one for splitting (ie. they have different profiles). Or is it simply for full on Celtic beserker rampaging....?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Can someone explain the benefit of a double bit outside of a full on Celtic beserker rampage? Is one for carving and one for splitting (ie. they have different profiles). Or is it simply for full on Celtic beserker rampaging....?

I was planning a full on Celtic berserker rampage!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Pignut - The Marbles is trash.

I have the Reeves and a Gransfors double bit working axe...and a couple of other large double bits.

You are welcome to come see em.

Red

Unless I turn up with 6 IBC's in the boot I feel I may see first hand how sharp they are!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I already have a GB double bit, and a grand bit of kit it is too. (nearly lost my big toe with it, so we are not on speaking tearms at the moment)

I wanted something smaller........ Anyone had dealings with the condor?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA

For one thing, as a general rule doubles swing truer than a single. That's because the weight is balanced on either side of the eye so that on impact, the momentum reduces the torque on the head. Adding a hammer poll on a tomahawk had the same effect and was seen as an improvement. Also, by having two bits, one can be profiled thicker than the other, giving you both a splitter and a wood chopper. One of Nessmuk's claims for the thicker edge on a hatchet was for splitting bones when cutting up deer. Additionally, if both bits are the same, then you can chop twice as long before whetting an edge.

Old time fellers preferred the double because of it's true swing but to be honest, when I hear of people talking about these things (especially axe reviews on ewetube), my eyes kinda glaze over because in the hands of a true axeman, they mean something, but in the hands of the weekend woodsman, not a whole lot imo. And there aren't many professional axemen left anymore imo.

My personal preference for most situations is for a single bit because I like to use the poll for hammering in stakes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE