Neeps

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thirty plus years I've known the man and I'm standing there, in my own kitchen, serving spoon in hand, dinner half dished, and he says. "Neep..... y'know, it's all right..... sometimes" and doesn't want any :confused:

I like turnip, I like veggies as a whole, and in thirty years he's never said a word again' them :confused: and now I'm thinking. How else *can* you cook a neep ??

I like them boiled in lightly salted water, drained and mashed with butter and black pepper, or cut into sixths like an orange and wrapped around a ball of spicy stuffing, drizzled with olive oil and baked.....they're good in a camp fire like this too :cool:
or even mashed with spuds and baked in the oven with a cheese and paprika crumble over them.

They're one of the foods I look forward to as the year turns; it's cold and frosty here tonight and it just felt like a boiled and mashed veggies with dinner night. Good, plain, comfortable food.

I *was* going to take some with me to the next Scottish meet and boil them with the spuds and haggis in the big cauldron; but maybe not....

Suggestions for cooking neeps when out gratefully received.

cheers,
Toddy

For those of us down south i think Toddy is refering to a swede.

Toddy the best way to eat them is roasted like you would a potato you won't believe how different they taste, i have got to say that they have allways been one of my favourite veges even when i was a kid and like you that was thirty odd years ago.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Cut into thick slices, sear in a griddle pan with honey and balsamic vinegar for 5 mins then place in a med/hot oven for 20-25 mins. Either that or wrap chunks in foil with rosemary, garlic, salt, butter and a wee bit of pepper and bake in a hot oven.....or campfire ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Thirty plus years I've known the man and I'm standing there, in my own kitchen, serving spoon in hand, dinner half dished, and he says. "Neep..... y'know, it's all right..... sometimes" and doesn't want any :confused:

I like turnip, I like veggies as a whole, and in thirty years he's never said a word again' them :confused: and now I'm thinking. How else *can* you cook a neep ??

I like them boiled in lightly salted water, drained and mashed with butter and black pepper, or cut into sixths like an orange and wrapped around a ball of spicy stuffing, drizzled with olive oil and baked.....they're good in a camp fire like this too :cool:
or even mashed with spuds and baked in the oven with a cheese and paprika crumble over them.

They're one of the foods I look forward to as the year turns; it's cold and frosty here tonight and it just felt like a boiled and mashed veggies with dinner night. Good, plain, comfortable food.

I *was* going to take some with me to the next Scottish meet and boil them with the spuds and haggis in the big cauldron; but maybe not....

Suggestions for cooking neeps when out gratefully received.

cheers,
Toddy

for him cook them till they are soft, and mash. then add crispy cooked lardon of bacon,
for you slice them really thinly and cook them as you would Gratin a la Dauphinoise, just replace the spuds with the neeps, if you like leeks, add them along with some spuds for a new twist on Gratin a la Normande

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
swedes my favourite veg, if you have never tried this (its not very healthy) you can make chips and crisps with them.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like veggies, I reckon we don't eat enough of them (vegetarians, obviously, don't come into that equation!). Man wouldn't have had meat every day a few thousand years back.

My special, which we are having tomorrow, is roasted veg; sweet tatties, parsnip, butternut squash and red onions. Normally with a pie, but I could eat it as it is by itself, with some salt and black pepper.

ps. Surely neeps are turnips?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
For those of us down south i think Toddy is refering to a swede.

I would agree.

Scottish neeps (English swedes) are the big yellow things.

I believe that the name reverses for the little white things, which we English call turnips and I believe the Scots call swedes. But someone like Toddy will, I am sure, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Geoff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Yeah, I do mean the big yellow ones, the little white swedes we get are kind of peppery, like an overgrown radish.

Thanks for the recipe ideas; I love roasted veggies but himself's not fond :rolleyes: He'd probably go for the bacon added to his though.
Chips and crisps; to paraphrase an old advert, "From a neep? Now that's clever :D "
I think we'll have a try at the herby baked ones at the meet, seared first to just add to the taste :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
20 past eleven at night and I've got a hankering for haggis, neeps and tatties, thanks a lot!! ;)

I like them any way, as long as they're cooked, don't like 'em hard :yuck:

Cheers,

Alan

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
:D
Yeah, I do mean the big yellow ones, the little white swedes we get are kind of peppery, like an overgrown radish.

Thanks for the recipe ideas; I love roasted veggies but himself's not fond :rolleyes: He'd probably go for the bacon added to his though.
Chips and crisps; to paraphrase an old advert, "From a neep? Now that's clever :D "
I think we'll have a try at the herby baked ones at the meet, seared first to just add to the taste :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Was in Asda tonight and according to them, the turnips are the small beetroot size things and the swedes are the bigger things. I thought it was the other way around though?

Another wee way of doin em is to half one, 'skin still on' scoop out a hollow the size of a golfball, fill with vege stock, thinly sliced garlic and crushed shallots then bake. The stock soaks into the neeps and makes em nice and moist but the other flavours dont over power the taste. Scoop the flash out and pretty much do what you want with em. Can you tell I was a chef....lol :rolleyes:

Dealt with fresh Scottish ingredients and coming up with new ideas for them for a michelin star resaurant. Loved the job but the hours were crap. :)

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Oh, and Scottish grown garlic is the best ever. Big, juicy, full of flavour without being too strong and have a nice sweetness to them. ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
For some reason this made me think of one of the blokes I worked with who said his wife used to make his bait (sarnies) up for him, till the day that he mentioned that he had the same type of sarnies a few times that week....

He makes his own bait up now:lmao:

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
In my part of the world it works like this -

neep = turnip (the little one)

swed = swede (bigger and better - nobody's growing neeps for livestock nowadays)

Roast swed is very good :)

xylaria

In world before pumpkins can anyone recall the really big turnips/swedes been used as jack-o-lanterns.

I grew up a mixed Irish/English household with parents that used differing words for root vegetables and I was very confused on what any of them are called.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I was in Sweden (where they call swedes "roots") I came across "rootmoose"(sp) an instant, packet mash of swede and, I think, spuds.
Mashed swede, soaked in gravy......Mmmmmmm!

if you want healthy Chips and they are actually very nice

ive used it for Potatoes and Celeriac should work for other stuff Swedes etc

cut em into Chips and par boil then put on your baking tray nad spray with the One Cal spray in the oven for 20mins i like my chips with a triangliar Cross section the corners get crunchier

Sewde and Celeriac mashed togther is nice add cream butter herbs mustard as upi wish

suppose you could mash it then add flour n herbs and fry off Cakes like you do with Potato ???

Oh and sliced thin and stripped it works will in a Stir Fry adds a bit of crunch

mine are nearly ready to start Digging up :D

ATB

Duncan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In world before pumpkins can anyone recall the really big turnips/swedes been used as jack-o-lanterns.
QUOTE]

I still make one every year, far scarier than any silly orange ball :D Somehow I don't feel Hallowe'en is supposed to be *cute* :rolleyes:

Thanks for the recipes folks, appreciated :D

cheers,
Toddy

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Neeps and parsnip mashed together is nice

Havent haggis tatties and neeps for a while

Supermaket haggis is not that great last one I had tasted more like black pudding.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE