Natural Dye Help

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hi all,
Wanting to dye some cotton and maybe nylon cloth, just wanted to know what i could use and what colours are out there......

im trying to dye some trousers made of cotton but has some nylon stiching in it to......

any help awesome........

thanks.

chris...................................

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cotton is hard to dye without mordants.
It's easy to stain (think grubby faded tea or red wine marks) but hard to dye.
It needs tannined before it will be receptive to a natural dye, unless the one you use is a substantive dye, like Indigo or Madder and even then they're the better of a mordant.
The nylon, if it's anything other than white won't take colour.

Can I ask what the original colours of the cotton and the nylon actually are ? and what kind of colour you'd accept ?

cheers,
M

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hi Mary, its an old pair of desert combats..... was going to use them out and about but would like to get rid of the bright colour....... grey, brown or black, anything like that realy...

never done my own dyes before so totaly clue less.........erhhhh DOH.......

thanks Mary.

chris.....................

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, you could either buy a 'lot' of tea, or gather 5 or 6kgs of oak bark, and boil them up with that......not all that cheap to be honest for the tea, or the fuel unless you're somewhere woody :)
or,
buy one of the wash in dyes meant for just what you are trying to do.
http://www.thedyeshop.co.uk/
Just make sure it's a dye that clearly says that it will dye cotton.

No connection with the company, just a happy customer.

The dye will come as a little sachet that you just put into the washing machine after you've washed the trousers without adding any fabric conditioner.
Wash again to wash the dye in, wash again to remoce excess, hang them to dry and wash the machine out ( I usually use this last wash to do the cat's bedding) again to make sure there's no dye left.
Result :D

The problem is that cotton is a cellulose fibre and it's hard to get natural dyes to chemically bond with it. Wool is a whole other story, but cotton, linen, hemp, ramie, nettle, are all white, brown, beige or yellow for a good reason. That said, indigo (blue) a substantive dye works really well, that's why jeans are the colour they are :)

The nylon stitching might not end up the same collour as your trousers, but it should still take up some of the dye.
It's not really that nylon doesn't dye, it's that it doesn't take anything much apart from yellows, peaches and blues from the natural dyes, indigo is expensive and complex to work with effectively, and I couldn't see you wearing peach coloured breeks :D
cheers,
Mary

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Thank you very much Mary as always your a star...........

will give the oak bark a go when im at the Brokwell Wood meet...

Thanks again Mary...

chris.............................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE