Nato Matchless Fireset

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Cotton wool seems to work just fine and dandy :) Easiest way to carry it compressed is to "borrow" a tampon from your wife or girlfriend....you'd be suprised how much cottonwool is crammed into one.

Often a good idea to carry a tiny tin of vaseline too...you can smear a little on the cottonwool to extend it's burning time......and use it to stop yourself getting cracked lips too lol :D

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
As do many others, I carry cotton balls pre-smeared with vasaline - which doens't stop using them on cracked lips. :D

I use a 35mm film container to carry them in.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
another vote for cotton wool/vasaline. i keep a couple of tins of the stuff in my kit.
i've even lit it floating in a puddle of water :D
it burns hot so it'll light stuff other tinders won't.
you'd be surprised how much you can get in a 35mm film container.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
What is the best material to use on a nato matchless fire set?

just wondered if your question has been answered?

do you mean to re-fill a NATO matchless fire set you own?
(answer: Hexamine/Esbit blocks, Flint & steel, and cotton wool.

or you have a/the tin and want better contents?
(answer: as suggested vaseline is really good(but messy), small strips of rubber, a candle.

or do you want to know how to use the kit?
if so....
light some cotton wool with the "flint & steel" and add small pieces of the tablets when they catch on fire they will burn for some time, add small pieces of tinder and sticks.

hope that helps ;)

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
Eeep!
Always with the vaseline. What is is with you people? Too much time alone under a tarp I think.

Try this- you won't look back...

Get some cotton wool, some candle shavings ( not too much ) and pop the lot into a place warm enough to melt the wax.

If you can't tear the resulting blob apart, you used too much wax.

If you can, you'll find it takes a spark like billy-o and burns for ages. It's less messy ( you can carry it in your pocket ) doesn't smell like burning vaseline, and it's relatively water resistant.

I discovered this little trick when the candle in my tinderbox melted at Glasto '95 ;-)

Reactions: Toddy

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
:offtopic: Welcome aboard to the forum, why not introduce yourself in the "Welcome" section?
I'm only down the road in Harrogate, it's good to see there are people close. :D

Back on topic.

I agree with Ogri, natural materials all the way. They don't have to be collected at the time. Collect them when you see them and store them in the tin ready for use.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
ArkAngel said:
I agree with Ogri, natural materials all the way. They don't have to be collected at the time. Collect them when you see them and store them in the tin ready for use.
Tin? TIN???? What ever happened to hollow logs? :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE