Name That (Rare) Tree........

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As some of you know I do like my trees.

I was going stir crazy yesterday so went for a wander despite a few days before I'm really supposed to go out post op.

I came across a really really rare tree on my travels and grabbed a few pictures for my collection (one advantage of being laid up is finally got to organise my tree piccs - still a few to photograph that live in the UK but not too many).

I was going to just throw the pictures on here for interest, but thought " I wonder if anyone would be able to guess this tree".

Given the depth of knowledge on this forum, I'm sure they will - so, without further ado - anyone care to have a stab at this one?

698766738_5aed9d1f6f.jpg

698766782_e59820bcb6.jpg

698766708_cf4dee0e19.jpg

No prizes other than the right to carry "tree guru" in your sig line!

Red

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I just got to chuck a guess in here,
Either a Swamp Cypress or a Dawn Redwood. I'm not happy with the bark picture for the Cypress so I'll go with the Redwood!

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Morning all.

Not a Hemlock,

Not a Christmas tree (unless you are a right vandal)

None of the Taxaceae

I am gobsmacked that someone got it so quickly though - Ogri - take a bow.

Its not a swamp Cypress though (needles are too flat and yes the bark is wrong)

A Dawn Redwood is correct.

Thought extinct and only known by fossils until 1941 when a chinese botanist re-discovered 100 or so of them. They are now fairly well established in a number of aboreta and some private gardens since the seeds are plentiful.

How cool to see a tree thought to have died out 26 million years ago - like meeting a dinosaur

Ogri - you are a "tree guru"

Red

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ogri - you are a "tree guru"

Red

Whooops, what have I done now :eek:
I really don't deserve the title. SWMBO brought home a pack of 12 "Usborne Spotters Books" from school, and I had a quick butchers through that - their illustrations of leaves/needles are about identical in the two species I posted earlier, so thank you for showing the real difference Red.
Incidently, the pack contains Spotters books on bugs, weather, wild flowers and the night sky - which should all be great for the kids.... I'm going to take the Spotters book of Dinosaurs and hide it, just in case!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Well done Ogri :Wow:

I wasn't sure how hemlock qualified as rare anyway, never heard of a Dawn Redwood before nice find BR

Tant

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Missed this one well done orgi, and yet another good tree quiz by BR.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
These are rare trees! There is a whole avenue of them at my house that goes for about 1/4 of a mile! Shame i missed this thread! The red woods here are really tall but obviously nothing like the ones in America!

by the way, is the dawn redwood different to just the redwood? That sounds like a stupid question i know!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I know they are Redwoods, not sure about the dawn bit. But yea there are quite a few! Really tall, i have always thought it would be good to climb one to the top and see for miles! They stand above all the other trees.

Oh yea, by the way, they are not 'my' trees. They are on a private estate where i live. I live in the grounds of a stately home so it has its benefits! Its great! Lived here all my life! Plenty of woods, feilds and gardens to roam around.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
sounds like a nice place to live. Dawn redwoods were normaly planted on thier own as they were a show piece tree in statley homes and parks we have a couple where I live. the large ones you see are in the region of a hundred years old and very grand. I dont think they are evergreens they shed thier needles in winter.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah - likely to be one of the sequoias - nice trees either way - could even be Giant Redwoods which are pretty spcial in their own right!

Nice place to live fellah

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE