My two favorite tents:

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
We pitched both my favorite tents for a family campout. Both are made from Egyptian cotton and so are much lighter than regular canvas. They let sunlight and even moonlight shine through. Both are floorless, and one can stand in them to dress, stretch, hang clothes to dry.

In the foreground is an 11' square pyramid. It has a stove jack and sod flaps, so it's the most suitable for very cold weather.

In the background is an 8' square half-pyramid. I like the vertical door and the fact that there's no pole in the center. If there's a fire in front of it, the heat is reflected very nicely.

IMG_1601.jpg

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Egyptian cotton weighs roughly twice as much as nylon, half as much as canvas. It's completely waterproof, but it breathes well, so there's no condensation inside. It's expensive and hard to find, though.

I'm shore the lodge near me has Egyptian cotton sheets.....:rolleyes:
no I couldn't do that..

Thanks for the info, I never realized it was waterproof?? Is that without treatment?

Edit - what thread count is it??

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
These are treated for both water and fire, although I have an acquaintance with an older, untreated tent that is also waterproof.

As an interesting aside, our cold-water exposure suits when I was a military pilot were made of Egyptian cotton. They were more comfortable to wear when they were dry than the Gore-tex ones that replaced them, but their fibers swelled when wet and made them waterproof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE