My Shiralee

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Recently I purchased a big bag of wool blankets (more than I need at present so some will be seen as trades/sales at meets I go to in the next few months) and decided to make a sleeping bag out of a couple of them.
I ended up with a bag a little over 3' wide and 6' long (I am only 5'5" tall so that is pleanty!) with a square fooot and sewn up the sides for 3' then with a couple of press studs each side (making it easy to get in) and a top edge that can velcro together to make a hood if needed.
there are loops inside and out at all four corners to attach a silk liner I made from some dress fabric (thick Thai silk - luxury I tell you!) and to peg it to the ground or tie it to a hammock as needed ... if needed to stop me sliding around...
Rolled up and strapped down with leather straps I had by and slung on a braided leather cord it looks like an old fashioned Swag or Hudson Bay pack and could also carry much of my gear...
I could wrap it in a groundsheet or tarp to protect it as well :)
It fits well under the flap of my new Duluth Wanderer and looks a cracker :)
The blanket is a marly pale brown/grey mix and the bits I did not use off the second blanket (about 2'x6') will be used to make other kit.
No photos yet (it is tipping down outside) but I can see me using this bag as a cover for other , normal sleeping bags (if we ever get a winter...) or as a summer bag on its own with the silk liner (which is Royal Purple!)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Be interested to see your design in photos :)

I've been eyeing up silk quilts and trying to find bargains :eek:

Winter.........we're in a blizzard right now :sigh: it's sodden wet underneath it though, so if it freezes tonight we're in for treacherous paths and roads covered in frozen slush :(

M

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I think we need some photos of your handywork John, I have been toying with the idea of trying out a blanket instead of a sleeping bag.
I would be interested in how you get on . I like the oldy woldy idea of a blanket :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think we need some photos of your handywork John, I have been toying with the idea of trying out a blanket instead of a sleeping bag.
I would be interested in how you get on . I like the oldy woldy idea of a blanket :)

I will try and get some up tomorrow :)

Recently I purchased a big bag of wool blankets (more than I need at present so some will be seen as trades/sales at meets I go to in the next few months) and decided to make a sleeping bag out of a couple of them.
I ended up with a bag a little over 3' wide and 6' long (I am only 5'5" tall so that is pleanty!) with a square fooot and sewn up the sides for 3' then with a couple of press studs each side (making it easy to get in) and a top edge that can velcro together to make a hood if needed.
there are loops inside and out at all four corners to attach a silk liner I made from some dress fabric (thick Thai silk - luxury I tell you!) and to peg it to the ground or tie it to a hammock as needed ... if needed to stop me sliding around...
Rolled up and strapped down with leather straps I had by and slung on a braided leather cord it looks like an old fashioned Swag or Hudson Bay pack and could also carry much of my gear...
I could wrap it in a groundsheet or tarp to protect it as well :)
It fits well under the flap of my new Duluth Wanderer and looks a cracker :)
The blanket is a marly pale brown/grey mix and the bits I did not use off the second blanket (about 2'x6') will be used to make other kit.
No photos yet (it is tipping down outside) but I can see me using this bag as a cover for other , normal sleeping bags (if we ever get a winter...) or as a summer bag on its own with the silk liner (which is Royal Purple!)

Tease! be interested in the photos when you get a chance John

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK photo time!
The blanket sleeping bag with silk liner.
All seams are plain seams which are then multi step zig-zag sewn to keep the edges down. Cut edges were overlocked, selvedges were left plain. All seams are set on the outside of the bag for comfort.
A V-notch at the edge of the blanket alowed a fold over so that the velcro "fur" is on the inside and the scratchy hooks on the outside when the "hood" is not formed by fastening the velco.
The press studs are slack enough to open without damaging the wool fabric but tight enough to hold against rolling around in my sleep :)
The loops on the inside hold the laces sewn onto the liner, the exterior loops are either to pin the bag to the ground by - or to attach the bag inside a canvas outer (future project here...) or tie on extra layers such as my cloak as an extra top layer.
Although this bag is envisioned as a summer bag it can also be used to act as a cover for standard sleeping bags in cold conditions - they will just slide in , replacing the liner.
If, on those long hot summer night we get in Wales, the bag is too warm I can just turn it inside out and just use the silk liner for cover...
Levitating Shiralee
DSCF5980.jpg

Rolled up Shiralee on a poncho groundsheet
DSCF5981.jpg

Layed out flat
DSCF5982.jpg

Press studs undone on one side to aid entry
DSCF5984.jpg

Hood formed and front turned down from top press stud
DSCF5985.jpg

Close up of hood velcro

DSCF5986.jpg

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a US army wool sleeping bag which is mummy shaped with a front half zip. It weighs about 1.8kg and I would say it is a summer bag warmth-wise although with a wool blanket on top its OK down to about 6-7C.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a US army wool sleeping bag which is mummy shaped with a front half zip. It weighs about 1.8kg and I would say it is a summer bag warmth-wise although with a wool blanket on top its OK down to about 6-7C.
I would guess that my Shiralee is about the same warmth rating as that :)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I thought these US wool sleeping bags were for much colder weather??

Looks good, this shiralee. I like the touch of colour you added to it!
But I think you should add a "permanent" groundsheet to this blankettroll, John.
Keeps the wool dry, the weight tolerable and the comfortlevels high.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I thought these US wool sleeping bags were for much colder weather??

Looks good, this shiralee. I like the touch of colour you added to it!
But I think you should add a "permanent" groundsheet to this blankettroll, John.
Keeps the wool dry, the weight tolerable and the comfortlevels high.
I am not sure about a permanent ground sheet ... I see me using the bag in summer (drier) conditions, perhaps even indoors and I am a sweaty horror so I want max ventilation.
I have plans to make a canvas cover so maybe I will incorporate a waterproof base on that.....

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi John,
I'm sorry. I should have been clearer about the groundsheet.
What I meant was a separate groundsheet, but permanently added to the roll.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE