My new little axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My Dad went to Clas Ohlsen, and all I got was an axe...

Well, he turned up unexpectedly this evening, and presented me with a new Fiskars X5 mini hatchet, which he said he paid in excess of £30 for.

I'm always pleased to be given an axe, and am delighted he did it. I like it very much. However, initial impressions are mixed. It isn't razor sharp, but it cut some seasoned wood easily enough and I'm not obsessional about tool sharpness. The handle is plastic, hollow, lightweight and thin, and looks like it would be brittle in cold weather. The head is a splitting profile, which seems inappropriate for an axe of this size, and the head seems glued into the plastic handle. It comes with fabric sheath that opens from the top and seems decidedly unweildy, although the various belt loops are quite nice. It does feel good in the hand, is a nice weight, and comfortable to use.

So, what are people's experience of this axe? My feeling is I wouldn't have bought it at that price, but I've no objection to having it as it is a convenient size and weight. I'm just not sure how much I will use it.

No pics as there are issues there at the moment, but there is a link here.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I played with one for a couple of days, and really got to like it in the end. I never liked the look of fiskars axes, but this little thing made me look past that.
I tried to carve with it too. The thick profile isn`t perfect for it, but this axe gives you lots of control.

It is a very nice gift that will last years and will serve you well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE