My Homemade Underblanket

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
This is my attempt at a cheap underblanket to use with my Trekmates Hammock

Made from a cheap and cheerful Tesco value rectangular 200g sleeping bag, some hemming strip/tape (or called something like that), chord and a bit of shock cord.

Here's a rough guide if you fancy giving it a go.

Sleeping bag laid out and zip removed.

IMAG0117.jpg

Next I folded in each corner and cut off as a triangle to lengthen the bag (Ive turned over the pieces so you can clearly see them)

IMAG0118.jpg

The two pieces are slightly overlapped and sown together, these are then attached to the end of the bag. In my case a triangle with a side of 350mm (when doubled up) was enough to fit nicely to the end

IMAG0119.jpg

After both ends were sown on I attached some loops made from the hemming tape and gave it a trial fitting

IMAG0121.jpg

I thought it hung a bit low which I know I could have lifted by tightening the hanging chord but I didnt like how loose it was below so I reduced the width of the overall bag

IMAG0120.jpg

Once again I added loops and trial fitted it. Where the sides seemed to bunch up I pinned and sewed which now gave the bag a bit of a bathtub effect

IMAG0127.jpg

Then the hemming tape on and a final indoors fit which I think is quite good

IMAG0129.jpg

Im going to hopefully set it up outside tomorrow get a proper look at it but overall Im quite happy

Let me know what you all think

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
nice work.
i just stuckan old sleeping bag under my hammock supported at the corners by bungee.
kept my butt warm in -8 or so

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hey up that looks the business, Im going to give that a go, is it attached just in the centre or as it got two lines? thanks again

nenook

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Two lines one for either side and then at the ends it has shock cord so the lines dictate the height of the sides and the shock cord keeps it tight and stops sagging

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Used it last night and it worked really well I was more than happy tbh. The temp got down to 0 before I fell asleep and got a bit windy early morning and still I didnt have any issues.

I am deffinately now converted to tree living but Im going to make myself a new one with a few mods I think

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE