My homemade ice axes in the very basic style of the old 'terrordactyles'

win9lg.jpg

2drfogh.jpg

vy8ns6.jpg

25kt14w.jpg

Very basic drop pick ice tools in the original style of the terrordactyl..

they are a bit heavier than similar commercially made axes.
you need 'some' weight to get a good placement. some of these ultra modern composite jobs just don't feel right - & cost a bloody bomb.
For a casual low risk top roped side of the road ice climber like me these will do nicely.

The workmanship on this thread is beyond compare with these though....the knifes & sheaths are excellent....the boats are awesome.

Last edited:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
That's not enough info, dammit man! What did you use to fabricate them? I can see a ruddy great bolt head, but what else is there?

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Neat! I think they're spot on, although I don't have much of a clue when it comes to ice climbing other than not to lick the ice unless somebody is close by with a cup of warm water! :D

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Like it! Very retro!

I use Mountain Technology (RIP) Vertige Alpinist axes - bombproof and with a bit of weight. I agree - I'm not so keen on the newer axes, especially the leashless variety as they just don't feel beefy enough for Scottish winter!

Mind you, it's probably more to do with my poor technique than poor design...

McInnes and Chouinard would be proud of you. How hard are they to extract?
Yeh they do put up a wee fight....but not too bad...the normal rocking motion loosens them reasonabley quickly.......I suppose if I made another set...I'd probably make the teeth a little less pronounced to reduce the bite a bit...Having said that sometimes you want them to bite & not come out easy!!!!!!!!

Like it! Very retro!

I use Mountain Technology (RIP) Vertige Alpinist axes - bombproof and with a bit of weight. I agree - I'm not so keen on the newer axes, especially the leashless variety as they just don't feel beefy enough for Scottish winter!

Mind you, it's probably more to do with my poor technique than poor design...
I recently watched peztl's promotional video & they made their leashless axes look totally awsome.....strangley...they also showed a scene where the (world class) climber lost contact with one of his axes going over an overhanging section & had to get a spare sent up to him!!!!!!
I'll keep the leashes for now.....could'nt afford those babies anyhow....

McInnes and Chouinard would be proud of you. How hard are they to extract?
Yeh maybe it would raise old sentiments.....or maybe they would think I'm off my head...I think they both made the tools because nothing existed at the time that met the need....we have a massive choice now .....but It was the McInnes' terrodactyl, my budget & my love of making things that inspired me to have a go...

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
they are fantastic, look very profesional

(says she whos sole contact with ice climbing was a set of crampons got cheap and sold nicely on Ebay...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE