My First Cuckoo!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Standing at the back gate about eleven this morning chewing on the local gossip with the neighbour - and there he was! (or she).

So very welcome as always, but especially as last year we didn't get a sign of them at all;
The nearest to home I heard them in 2013 was two miles away..............

Optimism and melancholy in equal measure :)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Sorry, but I hate Cuckoo's. They'd be great if they didn't go Cuckoo all @&#*^%#* day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sorry, but I hate Cuckoo's. They'd be great if they didn't go Cuckoo all @&#*^%#* day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the first time I've ever heard of anybody who finds that sound annoying! Each to their own, though :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My first one was today. I got a bad picture of it too!

13933957776_6d315a7e24_h.jpg

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
The difference between the notes of a cuckoo call is a perfect fifth - at least, more perfect than many humans can manage! Interesting that the qualities of music must at a basic level, be universal - and one must acknowledge that you very rarely hear a songbird hit a bum note!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The difference between the notes of a cuckoo call is a perfect fifth - at least, more perfect than many humans can manage! Interesting that the qualities of music must at a basic level, be universal - and one must acknowledge that you very rarely hear a songbird hit a bum note!

You obviously haven't heard the one I did. It was more of a "cuck-eurgghh!"

I think it was out of practice!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I too hate cuckoo's. They do it all day long, and when you have been woken up in a tent at 5 oclock every morning for two weeks, they do tend to loose there charm by 11 oclock ish, for the rest of time, I think we must have camped under the nest or something. Alot like the farmers rooster or a crows nesting site. Nice though if you can shut them out I suppose !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE