My First British Blades Commission...Nightmare LOL!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hiya....yup, not only that but it enables you to get the leather to the thickness appropriate to the task....what i mean is, on say 2.5mm leather you probably wont need to do it at all, as itll not only be so thin as to not be an issue but it'll also be flexible at that thickness anyway...and similarly on 3 to 3.5mm....but once you start going to 3.5 to 4mm+ youre not only going to need control of the 'bend' itself (dimension/fit-wise) but also probably the stiffness of the leather too...am i making sense?

the two issues are flexibility and thickness. every hide is different. sometimes i get a very stiff 3 to 3.5mm hide and whilst the thickness isnt going to mess with your plan, the fact its very stiff will. but then you might get a 4mm hide that actually bends very well, especially when damp from the dye.

i've had 3mm leather crack on the outside surface before purely because its really dense/stiff...but then i've had 4+mm where its been no issue whatsoever.

most leathersmiths use a tool called a v-gouge....which i dont own....mines a circular gouge and i love it....bought it from goods japan on ebay,

regards

sonni
Nice work. I've never considered thinning the leather so it wraps better around the spine a bit closer. Very ingenious.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE